Building a coffin box - need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nole96

Reaction score
Need some help with sizing here:

How high to the faucets?
How deep should it be to not kink beer lines coming in to shanks?
How much space should I allow between faucets?

Each answer depends on how you are going to use it.

How high to make the faucets? Pick the largest glass your going to serve in and hold it up for measurement. If you use pitchers so adjust accordingly mine are 11" high.

How deep to make the coffin? It depends on how long the faucet shanks are going to be. I would say 6-7" but you could make it thinner or thicker.

Faucet spacing? I would say no closer than 3"

My measurements are pretty much on track with what purplehaze wrote. My shank holes are 4" apart on center, my coffin is about 11" deep but I wanted the extra room. The height is just about the same as well. But as was stated take your own measurements

Need some help with sizing here:

How high to the faucets?
How deep should it be to not kink beer lines coming in to shanks?
How much space should I allow between faucets?

I set mine 13" from the faucet tip to the drip tray. The reason for that was to provide good clearance for filling growlers. My kegerator did not have that kind of clearance, so I was never able to fill a growler using it.

Your depth will also depend on what tubing you use. I went with Ultra Barrier Silver (good, but expensive). It's almost like silicone, very flexible and not prone to kinking. I still had to shave a bit of insulation out to allow them to bend though, so depth is definitely an important consideration. Remember to account for your tailpiece or whatever you use on your shanks as well. They also make a 90-degree tailpiece; the ones I saw are a little longer than normal tailpieces, but they'll get your lines pointed straight down, so no kinking worries!

As the others have said, 3" spacing is standard and I definitely wouldn't do less. I used a 20" tile for the backsplash on my tower, so my spacing worked out to 3.5". Depending on your build, your drip tray could impact your spacing as well. You don't want to set them too wide and find out your outside faucets sit right on the edge of your tray.

If you have your various parts on hand - tubing, shanks, tailpieces, drip tray, etc., I'd dry fit everything before you build to make sure everything fits the way you want. I probably spent as much time on my tower as I did the rest of the build.

I made my 4 tap box with the taps 4" apart, and the tips 10" up. My coffin is 9" deep with a backsplash set 1.5 inches from the front and after accounting for the thickness of the wood and insulation, I have a 5" deep x 20" wide path for my lines and fans. It looks like my 4" shanks are gonna be a good fit. They put the tailpieces just into the main chamber of the coffin. 3 1/2" shanks may have been better, but these are gonna be fine.

Back