Building a Brewing Recipe Site - Need Help/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyKlein

Reaction score
Since I started brewing, I keep hoping to find a modern brewing recipe site, so I finally decided to create one. The site is sort of like AllRecipes or FoodNetwork, just for brewing recipes. I'm finally finishing up the site, and I need some help from other brewers reviewing the site. Please use the site any way you normally would. The address is www.BrewItAgain.com.

Some features and advantages of BrewItAgain are:
  • Browse and search existing brewing recipes
  • Share your recipes with others
  • Manage and track recipes in one place
  • Discuss recipes
  • rate recipes
  • 100% free

Please answer the following questions:
  1. What do you like?
  2. What dont you like?
  3. What is missing?
  4. Would you use a site like this?

(my feelings wont be hurt by a harsh review)

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm getting tunnel vision working on this myself, and cant really be objective anymore.

1 - Nice layout!
2 - There's a few details which I assume you're working on (pictures don't match recipe style; gor an internal server error on recipes on the pale ale page).
3 - Yeast pitching calculator or link to the one at mrmalty.com. Other calculators? Maybe a page devoted to various sorts of calculators including metric-English conversions. Ability to convert between all grain, partial mash and extract. Basically, anything that might give someone a reason to leave your site and go look something up somewhere else would be nice to have.
Once I get to a recipe style page, clicking on a recipe should open it in a new window/tab, or at least keep the navigation bar on the left side.
4 - Yes. I've used a similar site beerrecipes.org.

Overall your page looks very nice. I'll look forward to using it and posting a few of my own recipes. :)

(my feelings wont be hurt by a harsh review

Since you opened the door...

What's up with the Mario (or Borat) 'stache on the logo??

Browsing through the listings, I'm seeing inconsistencies with the category names (plus spelling errors like "Berleywine" instead of Barleywine). It would also be helpful to use the same terminology across recipes.. Like LME for Liquid Malt Extract, and DME for Dried Malt Extract...

I see some categories that should be better defined too... Perhaps you should separate out the extract from the all grain and even partial mash recipe's. I also wouldn't include IPA's and straight ale's with the Pale Ale category.

For the actual recipe descriptions, listing the IBU's would be rather helpful. As well as the total boil times. You could put boil time for each hop in it's recipe line too... I would advise breaking the different steps (in the Procedure section) into each step, not have a run-on paragraph. If a step is separated by more than a few moments, then it should have a break in the write-up. Akin to how they list recipe's on Food Network's web site. You DID reference them as what you're trying to emulate.

I would also advise only putting up recipe's you've made, or altered from someone else. Otherwise, let the originator post them on the site. It will give more credit to the site if people start posting their recipe's instead of just trying to populate categories.

Oh, and use standard measurements for ingredients. For dry items (grains especially) use ounces and pounds (or metric) don't use cups (or fractions of cups). Every brewer I know (granted it's not a ton of people) uses weight for measuring the ingredients (only thing that's in tsp or cups is Irish Moss, or when making a starter). Of course, water is in quarts/gallons, but you might want to spec out US or British units (or have something posted on the first page that all units of measure are US based)...

I do wonder what hosting company you're using, since it had serious long load times for different pages. I would stop the load, then go back and hit it again and it would load ok. Not fast by any stretch, but reasonable. That's something that needs to be addressed before you start getting a lot of traffic on the site. I would also advise not having the navigation items disappear when you mouse over them. It would also help if clicking on the "home" link actually worked (got a blank page) same from clicking the logo... It has an extra 'brewitagain' in the URL that way...

Is this your first published site, or have you made sites before? I would advise testing the navigation twenty ways to Sunday before announcing it anywhere. Have friends test it out before you announce it. I've made a couple of sites in my day, which I always tested completely before giving out the URL. I would have friends test it as well before I would let anyone else know about it...

As for the speed of the site, since you don't have any large images loading, it should be blazing fast. Unless you're on a low bandwidth plan with the host...

Thanks for the reviews so far guys, this is great stuff!

Golddiggie, Sorry about the blank pages, I was doing a bit of work when you were on the site. Everything should be working normally now.

Back