Bugs in orval?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native302

Reaction score
So does Orval or saison dupont have or use bugs in their fermentation process ? I have a bottle of each and can culture a nice starter to pitch into a triple to get some nice funk like Orval has.

I love orval! One of my all time favorites, but at $5 a bottle it's a once in a while beer for me. Are there any Orval clones out there?

Orval uses Brett Brux.

Saison Dupont only uses brewer's yeast.

suprchunk said:
Orval uses it to bottle, not ferment. At least that is what I have read in countless tomes, and all over the interwebs.

No, that's a separate brewer's yeast, supposedly.

No, that's a separate brewer's yeast, supposedly.

You are correct. I misspoke and was confusing the second fermentation they do with adding before bottling. They ferment with sacc. then rack off and referment with brett. Then they do indeed bottle with a regular yeast. At least from my readings. I'll have to investigate further.

You are correct. I misspoke and was confusing the second fermentation they do with adding before bottling. They ferment with sacc. then rack off and referment with brett. Then they do indeed bottle with a regular yeast. At least from my readings. I'll have to investigate further.

Let me defer to those who know more than I.

I used Wyeast 3789 (Trappist Blend) in my Orval clone. I forget what I mashed at currently, but if the beer was a bit drier, it would be spot on. I'd maybe mash at 146* for that yeast.

But in either case, Orval uses WLP510 (Bagstone) and Bret B for bottling. Dupont uses a version of Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison). But again, don't let that stop you from trying your hand at culturing!

Regardless of what strains Orval uses to do their primary fermentation, there is indeed Brett in the bottle dregs. They don't pasterize or centerfuge the yeast out, so it's chock full of all the organisms that make that beer taste great.

However, Orval dregs stepped up in a starter will not make you an exact Orval clone it seems, or so I have read. I guess their fermentation process is complex. Nonetheless, Orval dregs will make a delicious beer. They are typically added in the secondary, after primary fermentation with a normal Sach strain.

Orval uses it to bottle, not ferment. At least that is what I have read in countless tomes, and all over the interwebs.

and that would be wrong:)

Regardless of what strains Orval uses to do their primary fermentation, there is indeed Brett in the bottle dregs. They don't pasterize or centerfuge the yeast out, so it's chock full of all the organisms that make that beer taste great..

and that would be wrong:)

Read >
Pg 57 Brew like a Monk
Pg 60
:mug:

oh, the primary yeast is WLP510 Bastogne.

Houblon, quit being picky. You made me go pull out my copy of BLAM. Yes, it says it is centrifuged, but it still has Brett in it. Pretty much what the poster was saying.

Yes, you are correct, the poster mis-spoke, but his message was still valid.

Back