Bugs in fermentor bucket water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman98

Reaction score
So I don't have a fermentation chamber, so I keep my fermenting carboys in buckets with a towel over them and a bit of water in the bottom. Keeps them about the right temp, but I noticed several insects swimming around. Any ideas how to keep them out? Bleach? A consideration is my two year old and dogs can get access to it...

So I don't have a fermentation chamber, so I keep my fermenting carboys in buckets with a towel over them and a bit of water in the bottom. Keeps them about the right temp, but I noticed several insects swimming around. Any ideas how to keep them out? Bleach? A consideration is my two year old and dogs can get access to it...

I used to do this, then I realized that people practically give away old fridges online, and temp controllers you can find as cheap as 15$. As long as you have a space for it, might be time to upgrade.

I use a bucket with about 10 gallons of water in it, and just splash a little bleach in it. Maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons max in total, probably less. Wouldn't cause any issues if anyone would drink it, but insects don't seem to like it.

Beach (at low levels) is used as an emergency method for sanitizing water for drinking.

The bugs are both unpleasant and a problem. They turned into mosquitoes and the house is full of them!
Bad enough outside :( Going to start wearing repellent inside if this keeps up.

How long has that been gong??
Mosqiitoes have a 21 day larvae state.
If you change the water before that you shouldnt have a problem.

I rotate all fermentors in there until kegged. So there's been water in there for at least 60 days.
Good news is, I added some bleach, no more bugs in the water and the mosquito population is dropping fast.

.... So there's been water in there for at least 60 days.
t.

The beauty of not having to worry about disases like Hemorrhagic Dengue Fever, Sika Virus or Chikungunya Fever...
Here we must be very careful not to let water stagnant beyond 21 days in order to reduce the breeding of mosquitoes indoors

Back