Buffalo is getting a Maltster!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allentwnguy

Reaction score
A shout out to my Buffalo brew buddies.... Have you heard we are getting a local maltster? Queen City Malting is going into The Barrel Factory down in the Old First Ward. When traveling on Rt 190 you can see one brick building with a faded paint lettering of a malting company. And of course buffalo being a "grain" city they had maltsters in the past when we were more of a brewing city. But....

http://buffalorising.com/2014/10/barrel-factory-flood-gates-are-opening-at-makers-market/

http://buffaloah.com/a/childs/100/malt.html

I did hear about this recently. Hopefully they will sell directly to homebrewers, but it's probably not likely. People seem pretty protective of Niagara Traditions.

When I grew up in WNY Buffalo smelled like slag from the steel mills. Now it smells like Cheerios (yum). Cheerios and malt would be delightful :) Great brewing history in 'lo .. would love to see it come back.

@tagz Yeah I kind of doubt it too. With all the local Kraft Brewers popping up I think the demand already has taken all the malt they can produce. I think Big Ditch Brewing just started production this past weekend so that makes like 7 breweries in the City and several in the surrounding area. But I hope the guys running it are homebrewers and sympathize with us. As I said the price point will have to be there. It would be nice to run to a local malt producer but I'm realistic about supply and pricing.

I brew beer because I love doing it but even more... I like great beers and have trouble affording them. I was going to a local store, getting a 6 pack of something good and a 22oz of Arrogant Bastard, and leaving $20 behind. It was time to brew! I can brew 5 gallons of a real decent beer for $20. Being retired I have the time to brew and the need for cheap real good drinking beer.

With Niagara Traditions, I love the guys down there but, It costs me quite a bit more to get supplies there. Niagara Traditions is just about 8 miles away and Kegworks (they now have brew supplies set up) is even closer. But my last grain order from MoreBeer was $45 and the same order at Nuagara would have been $72 plus tax. I'll go there for incidentals and big items (carboys and my malt mill) but grain bills and hops (I grow 4 kinds) I mail order.

Yeahhh buddy. Born and raised and still living in the B-Lo and love to see that.Go Bills! And Beer.

Kyle and Sammy pulled it out yesterday !!!!

ps - my grandfather (who i never met .. he died young) was a cooper in the brewing heyday. Maybe he worked at the Barrel Factory ???

Latest posts

Back