Budweiser Repeal Reserve Amber Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's this in reference to?

Ahh, found it. I'll buy it. I guess if nothing else, it's a flashback in history. That and I've never jumped on the BMC hate wagon.

I'm looking forward to trying it. Regardless of the normal swill they put out, we cannot deny that they have a hell of a brewing process and I am interested to see how that kind of control can translate into a, dare I say, craft beer.

Just a handful of reviews so far, all reporting that they like it. I'm not running out to find some, but if I see it at the store I might try it. There are still many bars/restaurants that mostly serve Mega-beer products, so this would be an alternative if you find yourself in a place like that. ABInBev could make a bigger splash by offering this "reserve" beer at prices well below what the current craft beer market is charging, I doubt that's going to happen though.

I saw this in the store the other day.

I hate how AB/Inbev mock the "craft brewers" in their media but then buy craft breweries and emulate them with their own stuff.

Screw 'em.

I saw this in the store the other day.

I hate how AB/Inbev mock the "craft brewers" in their media but then buy craft breweries and emulate them with their own stuff.

Screw 'em.

I think that's the thing that really bothers me. I'm not really into the hating BMC thing either, I still buy it from time to time; I do get upset when I see a Super Bowl commercial mocking craft brewers, then I find out they bought a home brew supply store.

I do like to brew American Lite Lagers, it's one beer style that truly is American, regardless of which way the industry is headed.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, I hadn't heard of this beer and I'm looking forward to trying it. For those of you who missed AB's Brewer's Collection variety pack a few years back, it was pretty good actually.

I just tried one. It's not a Boston Lager clone, but it's in the same Zip Code.

I'm guessing Vienna and Caramel/Crystal in the grain bill, noble hops, and a yeast that finishes pretty clean. A little too sweet for my taste, but an OK Amber Lager.

If it was the product of Man Bun Brewing, with Sailor Jerry inspired art on the label, it would be a hit with beer snobs. I'll have another, but the remaining 4 out of the six pack will probably languish at the back of my beer fridge for quite awhile.

Mark

I will definitely try one. I don't see any reason not to. At the very least, it is additional research/information I can bank away about the industry. It would also be cool to see if they try it again one day and I can compare. I am also a sucker for historically inspired anything.

I agree... the duality bugs me. I actually saw back to back Budweiser commercials... one for Bud Lite knocking craft (actually funny commercial... Dilly Dilly!) but then this one. Hypocrites don’t deserve my coin!

I F'n HATE that commercial! You bring me swill, you're my friend. You bring me something unique that took a lot of time and knowledge to make (Mead) and you go to the dungeon. 🖕

This stuff showed up all over the grocery stores in STL a few weeks ago. Guess I have to try it now.

Hah I just saw a BL commercial mocking beers with all kinds of items in the glasses. Then they said our beer is only brewed with four essentials: water, barley, rice, and hops.

Since when is rice applauded for being in beer?!? And talk about insulting the yeast which actually makes the beer!!

Since when is rice applauded for being in beer?!? And talk about insulting the yeast which actually makes the beer!!

Rice. That's my biggest gripe with all BMC beers. All of them taste like an over carbed, weak, vegetable broth. There just isn't much flavor there.

At least the Amber Reserve tastes like beer. It's not a beer I'd choose to drink very often, but it's recognizable as an Amber or Vienna Lager, not just a generic, fizzy malt beverage.

Mark

So it sounds like their Amber Bock beer. Maybe just a rebranding?
No, it's not the same.
I liked it. Picked up a 6'er the other day. I'll continue to purchase while they continue to release it. Then again, I'll continue to purchase BMC as long as they're all in production :D

Rice. That's my biggest gripe with all BMC beers. All of them taste like an over carbed, weak, vegetable broth. There just isn't much flavor there.

At least the Amber Reserve tastes like beer. It's not a beer I'd choose to drink very often, but it's recognizable as an Amber or Vienna Lager, not just a generic, fizzy malt beverage.

Mark

Vegetable broth? Hyperbole aside, Im glad I do not have your taste buds.

I just bought a 12-pack and am drinking one now. I like it! But there are better beers available for the same price or slightly cheaper so I probably won't get it again. Unless I find it on clearance in a few months, then I'm stocking up.

I bought a sixer out of curiosity and that it was a nice drinkable amber lager, and enjoyed it. Probably won't by more (it was more out of curiosity than anything), but again it shows that when they choose to make something with flavor, they can do it.

Reminds me a little bit (not the beer itself, but the reaction to it) of the Black Crown lager they released a few years ago. I took a 12-pack of that to a beer tasting as a "palate-cleanser" and because I figured a few people might want to try it. While we had some amazing beers that day (vertical Black Tuesday, vertical Parabola, some Cantillon) everyone recognized that the Black Crown was a good beer, and when lunchtime came around people were reaching for that to drink during lunch. Black Tuesday doesn't go so well with lunch ;)

The commercial states "Based on a recipe halted by prohibition.", as if after prohibition ended all pre-prohibition recipes were somehow still off-limits, but now they are finally able to overcome this monumental hurdle and bring it to us. Amazing!!!

I bought a sixer out of curiosity and that it was a nice drinkable amber lager, and enjoyed it. Probably won't by more (it was more out of curiosity than anything), but again it shows that when they choose to make something with flavor, they can do it.

They can do it, and it will be faultless when they do. I don't understand why they don't brew beers like this all the time and sell them under the Michelob label.

Perhaps they are testing the market with this one.

It's not terrible. Really, it comes across as Boston Lager. Not sure I'd be able to pick which one was which in a blind test.

They can do it, and it will be faultless when they do. I don't understand why they don't brew beers like this all the time and sell them under the Michelob label.

Prolly for the same reasons that Michelobe stopped. I expect the challenge is getting people to just try them.

Michelobe has made some reasonable attempts. Their Pale Ale of ~2007 was fantastic. They also offered a Marzen, Porter, Bavarian Wheat, and a Bourbon Cask Ale. Hell they even had a winter sampler.

I miss the Pale Ale.

Remember "Bud American Ale"? It was actually pretty good. IMHO it was a little bland compared to what I look for in an APA; i.e. I'd much prefer SNPA or similar. But it was technically flawless and it would be my first go-to if I was at an airport bar or perhaps major sporting event where the selections were poor, i.e. where everything was macro pale lager with maybe Boston Lager thrown in as "premium".

But it got killed after three years. I suspect that everyone who buys craft avoided it because it was Bud, and everyone who never buys craft didn't see a reason to buy it instead of their usual macro lager.

I'm kind of curious about the beer, but for now, I'm not buying any ABInBev products as long as they sponsor organizations ( not naming them) that CHOOSE not to follow their own rules and be disrespectful.
There are plenty of other beers to try and I have plenty of homebrew.
I'm not advocating others do the same, please keep drinking what you want, its a personal choice and freedom is important.

Prolly for the same reasons that Michelobe stopped. I expect the challenge is getting people to just try them.

Michelobe has made some reasonable attempts. Their Pale Ale of ~2007 was fantastic. They also offered a Marzen, Porter, Bavarian Wheat, and a Bourbon Cask Ale. Hell they even had a winter sampler.

I miss the Pale Ale.

I liked the variety pack that Mich sold years back. Of course that was back when I was first starting to get into craft beer, but still...

I haven't seen this new beer around yet, but then I haven't really looked either. My beer purchases lately have been the craft beer endcap at my local grocery store and the usual hunt for limit Edition beers from craft breweries (Backwoods Bastard! FTW!)

Remember "Bud American Ale"? It was actually pretty good. IMHO it was a little bland compared to what I look for in an APA; i.e. I'd much prefer SNPA or similar. But it was technically flawless and it would be my first go-to if I was at an airport bar or perhaps major sporting event where the selections were poor, i.e. where everything was macro pale lager with maybe Boston Lager thrown in as "premium".

But it got killed after three years. I suspect that everyone who buys craft avoided it because it was Bud, and everyone who never buys craft didn't see a reason to buy it instead of their usual macro lager.

Bud Ale was a middling to good Amber Ale. They can brew a "good" craft beer but it's not in the cards for there demo. I don't know if Bud will ever make the splash into "craft" simply because it fights against their main market product. They could make a damn good beer but they'd make fun of it on TV.

Although, Bud Light Pumpkin Spice wouldn't surprise me at all for the Basic Bar Ahem Ladies.

I liked the variety pack that Mich sold years back. Of course that was back when I was first starting to get into craft beer, but still...

I haven't seen this new beer around yet, but then I haven't really looked either. My beer purchases lately have been the craft beer endcap at my local grocery store and the usual hunt for limit Edition beers from craft breweries (Backwoods Bastard! FTW!)

I was really disappointed when they took the Pale ale off the shelves here. It was, IMO, a solid beer. High flavor, low alcohol. Good price point. Was quickly becoming a staple beer in my fridge.

Nice color, good clarity, but too much caramel malt flavor in my estimation. And it only comes in a 6 pack that I ever saw?

It was good enough. I appreciate a good amber lager and this was decently up there. However, I still have other brands I prefer. I am not 100% sure I like those ones more only for the brand, but I am okay with that. While I try to support craft, I don't mind buying BMC. However, this isn't good enough to make me choose it over something like Sam Adams or a smaller brand.

Sorry, still not buying any. Bud sponsors an outfit that lets their employees violate THEIR OWN RULES when they disrespect the flag, veterans and all Americans. Its just not negotiable. Drinking that would put a bad taste in my mouth. Note: I respect others choices and if you want to buy Bud products, its still a (somewhat) free country and I hope you enjoy it.

Back