Budweiser is changing it's name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question: do Americans realize that "America" is not the name of their country, but of the continent that their country happens to be on? And that their are other countries on the continent called "America"?

so, if Americans are not from America, why do you call them "Americans"?

what do you call someone from the United States?

and back ON TOPIC: funny a Belgian-owned company would rename their best selling product "America"

I actually did it on purpose. We're so used to i that we can't see how to call them differently.

I just find it annoying that some inhabitants of the United States of America are using the word America to designate their country. Living in Canada, I, too, live in America. Just not in the country called "United States of America".

I find it very revealing of a portion of culture from the USA.

On topic, I think it's a very odd move. The brand "Budweiser" seemed quite established, to say the least. Unless they think that they could lure more "patriotic" Americans that way?

And while it is all good and grand to be called 'American' are we actually Italians in disguise? As America is based off the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci's name..Read it all here..Imagine what we would be called if the continent was named based on his last name..Vespuccian?

what do you call someone from the United States?

and back ON TOPIC: funny a Belgian-owned company would rename their best selling product "America"

This has always confused me. Canada has states, but as a country is Canada. Mexico has states, but as a country is Mexico. Both in located in North America. The USA is just United States of America. No country. Just a group of states.

I actually did it on purpose. We're so used to i that we can't see how to call them differently.

I just find it annoying that some inhabitants of the United States of America are using the word America to designate their country. Living in Canada, I, too, live in America. Just not in the country called "United States of America".

You're a couple hundred years late on this argument. In English due to the way it has been used for hundreds of years America unambiguously means the United States of America. Our continent is North America and together with the south they are known (in English) as the Americas. Go back in time and get the British to change their nomenclature if you don't like it.

This has always confused me. Canada has states, but as a country is Canada. Mexico has states, but as a country is Mexico. Both in located in North America. The USA is just United States of America. No country. Just a group of states.

Well, technically no...Canada has Provinces..

And TECHNICALLY Mexico is actually The United Mexican States..

On topic, I think it's a very odd move. The brand "Budweiser" seemed quite established, to say the least. Unless they think that they could lure more "patriotic" Americans that way?

Not trying to pick a fight but there is no continent called America. There are two continents wthe word America in their name. That would be North America and South America. LOL I"m a strange "American" as I live in Hawai`i which is not on either continent. LOL :mug:

There is South America too!

But it just so happens that the US of A is the most American.

So we claim it.

'merica! Eagles, guns, "America beer" (formerly known as Budweiser).

From sea to shining sea.

In English due to the way it has been used for hundreds of years America unambiguously means the United States of America.

I don't dispute that this has been the usage, and that anybody using the word "America" right now means "the United states of America". The fact that it became the norm is still is indicative of a culture that considers itself the center of the (free and enlightened) world.

Well, technically no...Canada has Provinces..

And TECHNICALLY Mexico is actually The United Mexican States..

well, actually...

Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories

and you just learned me that about Mexico, I didn't know

I did know they still make Co-Cola with sugar, and it beats the hell out of the HFCS crap they make in here in AMERICA

Yup Just a group of States....remember State's Rights was a BIG THING BACK THEN.

Ok, I stand corrected on "America" vs "Americas". In French, l'Amérique (singular) also refers to the whole American continent, comprised of both North and South America.

Doesn't Canada call them provinces?

Edit: OK, like *everybody* beat me to that one.

Yup Just a group of States....remember State's Rights was a BIG THING BACK THEN.

some of us think it still is

and is that your car in your avatar? you really have a tap attached to your trunk?

even if it's just for show & not actually hooked to a keg, that's still the absolute effing coolest thing ever in the history of coolest things

Came here to make fun of Budweiser, ended up with a damn history lesson. :)

Back to original topic, I see it as a clever ploy. Think about it, if someone offers you a can of Budweiser, you can easily say "Hell no, Budweiser sucks!", but if they offer you a can of America you might think twice about saying "Hell no, America sucks!" It's a special kind of brilliant, really.

I don't dispute that this has been the usage, and that anybody using the word "America" right now means "the United states of America". The fact that it became the norm is still is indicative of a culture that considers itself the center of the (free and enlightened) world.

We aren't?:confused:

Edit: Just for clarity, is really 100% our fault that everyone refers to USA as America and its citizens as Americans? Just in normal speech, are you gonna always spell it out as USA, that's sort of awkward, the idea gets across, but its sort of weird to always spell it out. Even more awkward to always say "United States of America", its long and cumbersome for normal speech. If you are fine with either of those, then what do you call its citizens, USAer, or United States of Americans? Its short hand speech meant to convey an idea in less words/syllables, not everything is the American Empire trying to make everyone American.

Most of rest of the world calls us "Yankees" or "Yanks" not Americans. But I am a Mariners fan and don't ever want to be called a Yankee.

we did invent pret'n'near every damn thing there is, didn't we?

internal combustion engine, telephone, rock and roll, crack cocaine

damn near everything

This is what I immediately thought of:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv7UJLOyERs[/ame]

This is what I immediately thought of:

if I didn't have so much stuff clogging my DVR, I'd fire that one up and watch it

and got something for you: FINS UP!

landshark-fins-up.jpg

They just got jealous that we already have a beer called Canadian... :D

Glad to see I was not the only one to actually read the article. They want to change the name to America for the summer and they want to put all kinds of "American" things on the labels.

A lot of us did, we just didn't want to be thread killers... :mug:

According to a press release from Budweiser’s St. Louis-based brewer, Anheuser-Busch (which has been owned by the Belgian company InBev since 2008), the patriotic packaging — which also will include lines from “America the Beautiful” and the Pledge of Allegiance — is aimed at inspiring drinkers “to celebrate America and Budweiser’s shared values of freedom and authenticity.”

Shared values of freedom my ass. Everyone knows they try and crush all of the micro brew, craft beer breweries with non stop threats and lawyers and such. I hate Budweiser

Glad to see I was not the only one to actually read the article. They want to change the name to America for the summer and they want to put all kinds of "American" things on the labels.

Reading is still a virtue. Most only skim, sadly without getting the essence.

Years ago, a local newspaper always claimed that xx% of the subscribers "read the newspaper." xx% was always a suspiciously high percentage (60-80%, IIRC). So I wondered: What does "reading a newspaper" really mean? I had to conclude, it means: Skimming it! Reading headlines, maybe a paragraph here and there. Reading a newspaper front to back would take more than a day...

Reading is still a virtue. Most only skim, sadly without getting the essence.

Years ago, a local newspaper always claimed that xx% of the subscribers "read the newspaper." xx% was always a suspiciously high percentage (60-80%, IIRC). So I wondered: What does "reading a newspaper" really mean? I had to conclude, it means: Skimming it! Reading headlines, maybe a paragraph here and there. Reading a newspaper front to back would take more than a day...
TL;DR.
But I know you said something about newspapers...

Back