budweiser clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
Well, I am about to pop my extract brewing cherry. I started off with Coopers kit's and perfected those pretty fast. I have had some friends try my beers and they have offered to buy beer off me if I can make a typical North American beer like budweiser/labatt blue clone.

First I have some questions, I have looked into extract brewing, maybe buying a kit for my first one. From all the video's I've seen on youtube, you steep grains, then add the ingredients during your boil. Now, on all the Budweiser clones that I look at on the Internet, none of them say anything about steeping grains, all of the ingredients include just malt extract, rice power etc, are there no grains for doing a bud clone?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I just like to do all my research before I dive into this. I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to learning I have to know everything before I attempt a process or I get confused.

The great thing about this, I live in the same city as the Labatt brewery in Canada, in fact we use the same water source. I am going to go on a brewery tour and maybe ask some questions to how they treat the water, like if they de-chlorinate or what, maybe I can get the same water taste!

Thanks for the help!

That's probably more of an indictment on Bud that you don't need to steep grains to clone it. I'd tell my friends to save their money and buy the real thing and leave you to brewing quality beers.

What grains would you steep to clone Westmalle, or should we indict them as well?

Hey I wasn't saying that I was a big fan of it!

But since I'm laid off I've been going crazy and I have a 25 gallon tank just sitting there empty, If I can make them happy by saving a few bucks, and put a few bucks in my pocket by saving money, I'd be pretty satisfied!

Seriously....

Take a bottle...pee in it...cap it and hand it back to them.

Cheers!

Don't waste your time and resources capping it. Just hand it to them opened and still warm. They will appreciate the similarities much more.

Don't get me wrong here. I enjoy a cheap Natty Light as much as the next guy when I'm out working in the yard or garage. It's beer and it slugs down easy with little effort or money involved. But why, oh why, would one want to purposefully go to all of the effort and, sometimes risk, of making a homebrewed beer, only to have it come out like Bud, or Miller, or Coors? If that's the type of beer you want, and like I said "nothing wrong with that at all", why not just run down to the local convenience store or grocery story and pick up a 12 pack or case? No risk of botched beer, no preparation, no clean up, throw the empties in the big green can when you are through, and presto! You're done. You hide half of the empties so that SWMBAAC (she who must be avoded at all costs can't keep up with consumption and start the regular routine all over again.

Beers,
Ken

Steeping grains generally add color and character to beer.

Most north american lagers are light on color and flavor and hops. Nothing wrong with a lighter beer, but it's also one of the hardest beers for a beginner to try to clone. Any off flavor will stand out in such a light beer, and you're also probably going to have trouble maintaining steady lagering temps for extended periods. You're also probably going to have to deal with liquid yeasts & learning how to make a healthy starter.

Most homebrewers will tell you to aim higher and brew a more full & robust beer. You'll have more flavor & a better chance of success.

I'd suggest a tried & true blonde ale - light in color - but more of a medium flavor with character. Check out the recipe section for something like Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.

Skip the Bud clones (lagers) and do a Blond Ale or a California Common. Still get the light easy drinking beer without the hassle of a lager.

I found this

Budweiser Clone (BYO)
by Karl Glarner Jr.

This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast — no lagering
required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5
gallons)

Ingredients:

• 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min.,
0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil. Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return
to boil. Total boil is 60 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade
and boil for 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more. Turn off heat, add 0.5
oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min. Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled
water. When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and
ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.

Here's some more

Mid-American Light Lager
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Bottling
http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/02_25.htm

This is where i got it from. It has a grain recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/i-want-brew-budweiser-23302/
:mug:

-Nick

Austin Homebrew Supply also makes some kits that are BMC clones. They are all malt extract with no steeping of grains. I think you will find that with most of the BMC clones.

I would try one of their kits if you are really interested. You will get better results if you lager it so just keep that in mind. If do not have any temperature control, go for a lite Ale like the others suggested.

All Bud-bashing aside, the OP asked a question that has come up here more than a few times. I've got these buds who think it's cool I make beer, but won't try it.....

I'd suggest making a blond ale, or another light ale. Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde are two that come to mind. Just tell them it's a Budweiser Clone. Chances are they'll like it anyway and won't notice the differences. After they drink it and rave about it, you can explain how it differs and maybe open them up to trying other beers.

All Bud-bashing aside, the OP asked a question that has come up here more than a few times. I've got these buds who think it's cool I make beer, but won't try it.....

I'd suggest making a blond ale, or another light ale. Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops and Centennial Blonde are two that come to mind. Just tell them it's a Budweiser Clone. Chances are they'll like it anyway and won't notice the differences. After they drink it and rave about it, you can explain how it differs and maybe open them up to trying other beers.

Ditto,
As much bud bashing that goes on we all would love the skill to brew bud light. Befor brewing you think it's simple cause it's flavorless. Well I't;s must easier to brew a robust porter Full of flavor then to successfully brew budlight. One you need to be able to control lager temps. Thats the easy part. Now perfect your brewing process to brew crystal clear beer with ZERO off flavors. Since there is no flavor to start with, you have no room to hide your off flavors.
Tell you freinds to accurately replicate Bud or budlight, it would cost you too much in equipment and take to long to get that good at brewing.
Brew one of the above mentioned Cream Ales.

Seriously....
Take a bottle...pee in it...cap it and hand it back to them.
Cheers!

Is there an HBT equivalent of Godwin's Law for BMC-Piss comparisons?

I propose we call it "Schlitz' Law", which would state the following:

In any discussion involving mass-produced American beer, the probability of a poster invoking comparisons to piss rapidly approaches 1. Additionally, the probability of any poster invoking Schlitz' law having anything useful to add to the conversation is exactly 0.

regarding_mussolini.png

:D

I've actually got a recipe that I call "Lawnmower Lite" that I brew for the masses. It's always the first to go and everyone raves about it.

1 can of Muntons Premium Pilsner no-boil kit
1 can of Liquid Rice Extract

Heat 2 gallons of water to 170 deg or so and turn off heat.
Stir in and dissolve the 2 cans until mixed thoroughly.
Pour into fermenter and top off with 3 gallons of cold water.
Pitch Yeast.
After fermentation, rack to secondary for one week to clarify.

Very quick and easy.....

If you like Budweiser and want to brew, go for it. It will be hard to duplicate, but every batch is a learning experience. The important part is that you have fun and learn something, not what other people think of the type of beer you brew.

I guarantee as soon as you brew your first batch, you'll be trying to figure out how/when to brew your second batch. Then you'll love variety as much as the next person on here.

A judge at a local comp was saying that Bud Light pre-pasturized is actually not half bad anyway. :cross:

If they are really, really insistent that they want it to be ****ty, there's this: American Lite - Extract | MoreBeer

If you want to try and trick them into drinking something that is flavorless instead of having a metallic/sour aftertaste (quite an upgrade if you ask me), try this: Light Ale-Extract | MoreBeer

I see either as kind of a waste to brew though.

LOL I'm doing the light ale kit from more beer right now. the color alone may scare his buddies off.

Ditto,
As much bud bashing that goes on we all would love the skill to brew bud light. Befor brewing you think it's simple cause it's flavorless. Well I't;s must easier to brew a robust porter Full of flavor then to successfully brew budlight. One you need to be able to control lager temps. Thats the easy part. Now perfect your brewing process to brew crystal clear beer with ZERO off flavors. Since there is no flavor to start with, you have no room to hide your off flavors.
Tell you freinds to accurately replicate Bud or budlight, it would cost you too much in equipment and take to long to get that good at brewing.
Brew one of the above mentioned Cream Ales.

I saw an bud clone extract kit somewhere...I'll post it here if I can find it.

bud is about $19. a 30 pack here.

I did both the kits from morebeere. They were ok, and like firstnten said, a little dark.
Shared some, and the review was"it's not bad"

Is there an HBT equivalent of Godwin's Law for BMC-Piss comparisons?

I propose we call it "Schlitz' Law", which would state the following:

In any discussion involving mass-produced American beer, the probability of a poster invoking comparisons to piss rapidly approaches 1. Additionally, the probability of any poster invoking Schlitz' law having anything useful to add to the conversation is exactly 0.

Already established. We call it Evan!'s law. Previous instance here.

Well here in NFLD a 12 pack of any BMC costs $23. Now that's expensive.

I'm with a lot of the others. Brewing or trying to brew a BMC beer is costly and chances are that it will take many moons to get it right. You need to do all grain and have exact temperture control over all your processes along with a fresh suply of ingredients and a good recipie in order to duplicate the blandness that BMC has.
I make lagers and have temperture control for fermentation and lagering and also do all grain. I have yet to come close to this style as I frequently use more hops than that style requires.

But you are on the right track in trying to learn about something before actually brewing what could be a disappointing facsimilie.

bud is about $19. a 30 pack here.

I did both the kits from morebeere. They were ok, and like firstnten said, a little dark.
Shared some, and the review was"it's not bad"

I'm assuming by your name you like to grow tomatoes. I live in NJ also this year you can buy Ramapo tomato seeds from rutger's

Jersey Tomato

thought you maybe interested.

I've actually got a recipe that I call "Lawnmower Lite" that I brew for the masses. It's always the first to go and everyone raves about it.

Pitch Yeast.

Very quick and easy.....

I bet that is good.

I made pretty much the same thing with a Can of Cooper's Canadian Blonde Ale and 2#s rice syrup solids and it ended up somewhere between Bud and Bud Light. Everyone liked it.

I've tried to do an All Grain and Rice Adjunct similar to Budweiser a few times and I've made good beer, but I always seem to over do it.

Next time I try and brew it ( Saturday ? ) this is what I'm going with:

3# American 6 Row
3# Flaked Rice
2# American 2 Row

Mash for 1 hour at 140, then Mash at 147 for 30 minutes.

Approximately 3/4 oz of Sterling Pellets for 45 minutes.

And WLP840 yeast with some Beano in the fermenter.

I'm getting better at making it, I think the trick is not starting with too high a gravity - its easier to dry the beer out if you keep the gravity down to begin with. And you've also got to avoid the temptation to do something unique, and ignore the "piss" comments.

I bet that is good.

I made pretty much the same thing with a Can of Cooper's Canadian Blonde Ale and 2#s rice syrup solids and it ended up somewhere between Bud and Bud Light. Everyone liked it.

I've tried to do an All Grain and Rice Adjunct similar to Budweiser a few times and I've made good beer, but I always seem to over do it.

Next time I try and brew it ( Saturday ? ) this is what I'm going with:

3# American 6 Row
3# Flaked Rice
2# American 2 Row

Mash for 1 hour at 140, then Mash at 147 for 30 minutes.

Approximately 3/4 oz of Sterling Pellets for 45 minutes.

And WLP840 yeast with some Beano in the fermenter.

I'm getting better at making it, I think the trick is not starting with too high a gravity - its easier to dry the beer out if you keep the gravity down to begin with. And you've also got to avoid the temptation to do something unique, and ignore the "piss" comments.

The extract recipe is very easy. The hardest part is resisting the urge to boil it.

I would imagine making this style in all grain would be pretty hard.

Skip the Bud clones (lagers) and do a Blond Ale or a California Common. Still get the light easy drinking beer without the hassle of a lager.

I agree, if you make a homebrew with "drinkability", like a blonde of common, you could turn your firends on to homebrew. If you make a bud clone they are just going to compare it to the original and I dont really see the thrill in that.

If they are really, really insistent that they want it to be ****ty, there's this: American Lite - Extract | MoreBeer

If you want to try and trick them into drinking something that is flavorless instead of having a metallic/sour aftertaste (quite an upgrade if you ask me), try this: Light Ale-Extract | MoreBeer

I see either as kind of a waste to brew though.

Truer words where never spoken. I kegged this stuff the other day, it cleared and the SG was consistent. For my first beer I guess it wasn't bad that being said this will be my last time making this stuff. (Light ale)

Hey I wasn't saying that I was a big fan of it!

But since I'm laid off I've been going crazy and I have a 25 gallon tank just sitting there empty, If I can make them happy by saving a few bucks, and put a few bucks in my pocket by saving money, I'd be pretty satisfied!

My only rule about home brewing:

1- never do it for anyone but yourself.

nuff said.

Pitch Yeast.

Very quick and easy.....

what does the liquid rice extract do/add to the brew?

what does the liquid rice extract do/add to the brew?

Budweiser is made with rice in the grain bill. The rice extract gets you closer to the original. You can also use dried rice extract but the liquid seems to be more readily available. I also think you have a better chance keeping everything sanitized with the liquid.

Budweiser Clone:

21.2 lbs. Dihydrogen Oxide
5 lbs. Hydrogen Hydroxide
15 lbs. Hydronium Hydroxide
.5 lbs. Hydric acid

Combine all ingredients in 5 gallon primary fermenter. Let sit for one week at 68 degrees. Rack to a secondary container for further aging, keg to carbonate.

OG: 1.000
FG: 1.000
5 gallon batch

I think the taste is right, but the ABV doesn't quite match up.

(Yes, all those ingredients are water, and they all add up to 5 gallons.)

In all seriousness, a beer made from pilsner extract and rice syrup with minimal hops and a clean ale yeast (though lagering is preferred)

Doesn't the brewhouse offer an american lager? i coulda swore i read about rice being in it.

I usually use Festa Dry stuff with an extra 1/4 kilo of Light DME, Medium DME or sugar (depending on what I have nearby). I lager it for a month or more and it keeps my friends happy while i drink my bigger pilsners and pale ales. Not really a bud clone, but a light cold drinking eer.

Do you snobs realize that a case of buds in Canada costs $40.
Think about that for a minute and then continue to criticize a guy for
trying to brew a Bud clone. and yes, my spelling is horrible.

I didn't see it said yet but Budweiser is a light American LAGER

Light American lagers are very difficult for the average homebrewer to do successfully. You need very strict temperature control (cold) throughout the process. And unless I am mistaken it is filtered intensely. Another thing that most homebrewers are not equipped to do.

I would suggest a cream ale or extra pale ale. You can find multitudes of recipes online or kits from all the major online homebrew retailers.

Latest posts

Back