Budweiser “Bar Bottles”

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoFlo_Beer

Reaction score
When I started home brewing in the 80’s, Budweiser “Bar Bottle” were popular for bottling. They came in a handy toteable heavy cardboard box and the returnable bottles were more heavy-duty than the disposable bottles. I eventually graduated to kegging my brews but still have several cases of the old bar bottles.

Question: are these old bottles being used by anyone? Are there any value to them in the brewing community now?

Attachments

• 20210915_071112.jpg
    20210915_071112.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
You never see them anymore, most places serve draft or just pop open a can. No there's no value in old Bud bar bottles, at least not to me,
you can buy cases of S/N and use them for bottling.

When I started brewing in the 80's I also used those. I got them in NY and only had to pay the deposit. I got rid of them when I moved. I started brewing again 4 years ago and couldn't get them anymore. The box is real sturdy and is coated with some sort of wax.

W
You never see them anymore, most places serve draft or just pop open a can. No there's no value in old Bud bar bottles, at least not to me,
you can buy cases of S/N and use them for bottling.
What is S/N?

The Bud returnable cases were great. For less than $2 I could get a case (5-6 cents a bottle) for what the deposit was. And the case was meant to last, not like the ones you get from the LHBS or the local liquor store.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between bar bottles and beer bottles?

I'd think anyone that still uses bottles for their homebrew might want them. I don't see the value other than just give away for the good will it'll have someone think of you.

Especially since one can go to the bar and get empty bottles free. Sure some will be twist off caps which you just trash, but many won't be.

Bars here still serve beer in the bottles they came in.

Question: are these old bottles being used by anyone? Are there any value to them in the brewing community now?
I use those bottles, and they are better than the one use bottles they make today. They are the right height to hold that case lid up, and they were designed for reuse and abuse. A brewer who bottles might be happy to have them if you live close enough. Post your location, and those bottle might find a good home.

Last edited:
Back