Bud Light Platinum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this come in the aluminum bottles? I'm considering switching over to these. I heard they are reusable. If so, It would be real cheap to get them if its Bud Light inside!

Whelp, i just bought a six pack of this and i have to say im dissapointed. Im not sure what it is but it just tastes..... off to me. Dont get me wrong, i am a fan of what BMC does. that make a quality product that tastes the same time and time again and that takes talent, money, and nice equipment. But this bud light platinum tastes funny to me.

As a BJCP judge it is driving me crazy but I cant quite figure out the weird taste I am getting from it. If anyone has any help as to what this is I am tastin I would love to hear it.

I laughed pretty hard when I figured out the target market for this beer. It happened like this: I was at a party, and one of the neighbors shows up with his wife and two uncapped Coronas.

Me: Dude, no lime?
Him: Better! Shots of Jose Cuervo in 'em!
Me: ...
Him: *opens fridge* Holy ****! You have Bud Light Platinum?! Hey baby, try this!

Am I missing something, or is "high-alcohol, light beer" a bit of an oxymoron? Every time I want to make a heavy beer it takes more grain. More grain => more sugar => less light, aka heavy. I guess. Maybe Coors will develop Adamantium Light, and then Miller will come out with Unobtanium Light? Kyle

Am I missing something, or is "high-alcohol, light beer" a bit of an oxymoron? Every time I want to make a heavy beer it takes more grain. More grain => more sugar => less light, aka heavy. I guess. Maybe Coors will develop Adamantium Light, and then Miller will come out with Unobtanium Light? Kyle

It's 137 calories per 12 oz bottle, so no, they did not defy physics. I had wondered the same thing.

It's not bad, though. I might drink it over MGD.

It beats mgd. But its just not that good. My first thought after tasting was that this will go the same route as clear Pepsi and be put of the market in a year. It serves zero purpose when a 30 pack of 5.5 abv icehouse costs as much as 12 of these.

When your target group is the people that just want to get drunk, usually cost is the driving factor in their choice of drink. Platinum just doesn't fit that mold.

People are actually buying BLP though, as sad as it is. It'll getchu drunk, but oh man, you'll look good with that fancy blue bottle in your hand when you're hunched over a toilet.

Thank you facebook for photo documentation of that actual event.

I'm not sure if it's the novelty of it, people just want to jump on the next thing that comes out, or just a plain lack of common sense.

It beats mgd. But its just not that good. My first thought after tasting was that this will go the same route as clear Pepsi and be put of the market in a year. It serves zero purpose when a 30 pack of 5.5 abv icehouse costs as much as 12 of these.

When your target group is the people that just want to get drunk, usually cost is the driving factor in their choice of drink. Platinum just doesn't fit that mold.

I've only had one, so its tough to judge, but I didn't think it tasted anything like Icehouse. They had another commercial during SNL last night and I don't get the impression they are going after the college student crowd. Seems they are going after the clubby crowd with the blue bottles and promise of a "light" beer.

joety said:
I've only had one, so its tough to judge, but I didn't think it tasted anything like Icehouse. They had another commercial during SNL last night and I don't get the impression they are going after the college student crowd. Seems they are going after the clubby crowd with the blue bottles and promise of a "light" beer.

It tastes nothing like icehouse, and i wasn't trying to imply that it does. But there is really only one reason to make bud light with more alcohol, to get drunk. The crowd that wants to get drunk will choose a cheaper item in my opinion. The clubby crowd just wants to get drunk, unless they can buy this at the same price, I think it will disappear.

Back