Bud Light Lime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
I just saw an ad for Bud Light Lime...wtf? Is that just another Miller Chill clone? Where is the world coming to... :drunk:

i saw a commercial for that stuff the other day....and was saddened. nothing like masking a nasty beer with lime.

I saw it at a beer festival last weekend...what a shame.

Doesn't AB already own something like 51% of Corona (and by that nature - Corona Light) ???? Why would they try and create internal competition for a Cervesa?

It's one thing for a company to put out a mediocre beer...

It's something else for a company to put out something that such a BLATANT "me too!" ripoff. I mean, does anyone look at Bud Light Lime and *not* think about how Bud's trying to emulate a successful product of Millers? I mean, there's not even a pretention of this being an original thought. Couldn't they have at least, I don't know... maybe used LEMON or something, or somehow at least changed the concept a LITTLE?

I'm wagering that this proves to be a complete failure in the marketplace.

Corona is owned, at least primarily - by Consellation Brands, which is generally more of a spirits company. I don't see any indication that Corona is a BUD brand, but there could be some kind of joint venture that I'm not aware of. A citrus-infused Corona, I would bet, would actually be a very successful product in the marketplace (whether it's any good or not... I'd wager on "not").

Well, Miller Chill did become hugely popular last summer (I saw it being quaffed everywhere last summer...It was big with the boaters who were up here for the Port Huron to Mackinaw race week.) So it's no surprise that others are going to copy it...It's like Televison, once one "reality tv" show became popular, the next tv season ALL networks jumped on the bandwagon....

It's the same reason AB is jumping on the pseudo "craft beer" bandwagon....

There's no originality any more...

:mug: Kind of funny when they wer making the "Man Laws" commercials.( I beleive it was Miller,that was one of them,"No fruit in beer", next thing you know, they'll have those little umbrellas in there too..............

I have drank some nice brews that were brewed with fruit though.:mug:

Willy Boner said:
:mug: Kind of funny when they wer making the "Man Laws" commercials.( I beleive it was Miller,that was one of them,"No fruit in beer", next thing you know, they'll have those little umbrellas in there too..............

I have drank some nice brews that were brewed with fruit though.:mug:

haha. i forgot that it was miller that was doing those "man law" commercials. They did have one commercial about not fruiting the beer, while at the same time they were marketing miller chill. its funny how they try to convince people that certain things (usually pertaining to craft beer) arent good or arent manly.

I think it funny how everyone is downing Bud for creating Bud with lime. I would think that everyone is aware that this is what basically every major food and beverage company does. Hell I like Coca-Cola with lime but hate Pepsi with lime. When you walk into the grocery store you can find several brands of basically the same product, it is NEVER a bad thing to have choices.....:mug:

I don't care what they try, I don't want to drink their beers...

I've had Miller Chill, I didn't like it. I'd prefer to drink just the Miller Lite instead...

BudLime.jpg

On one hand they try to come off as a more sophisticated brewery now..."the great American Lager..the new Bud Ale being publicized ahead of time...converting Michelob to an all barley recipe (good for them)....

On the other hand they don't hesitate for a second to chase after the latest fad beer in order to squeeze one more dollar off the grocery shelves.

Something tells me that Adolphus is rolling in his tomb.

BierMuncher said:
View attachment 5389

Something tells me that Adolphus is rolling in his tomb.

I doubt that. Adolphus was like Bill Gates in his day. Anything to put the other guy out of business or make them sell out to you. If it made him more money, he was all for it.

So I actually tried one of these today.

I was at the Blues Festival in Chicago, and we were getting ready to leave. I had 9 food/drink tickets left, which were otherwise going to waste. The only beer choices were Bud, BL, BL Lime, and Bud Select. The BL Lime happened to be exactly 9 tix.

Sometimes you just gotta say, "what the bless".

So I slapped down my 9 tix, got my shiny, ice-cold 16-oz aluminum bottle, and took a swig. Tastes unbelievably like Sprite...well, maybe not that sugary. More like Diet Sprite, without the artificial sweetener aftertaste.

I swear, if I did a blind taste of BL Lime against a 50/50 mix of Sprite/Diet Sprite, I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Good beer? No. Good drink? decent. Pretty refreshing, especially on a humid 90F day, with a 40-lb kid+backpack on my back.

Gotta say, if I were ever at some BMC-only picnic or something, I might reach for one of these again over any of the other options. I'd certainly take it 10 times out of 10 over a Corona. Setting aside the expectation, of course, that it's going to be anything that remotely resembles beer.

And now that I'm back home, I'm gonna crack another Goose IPA, just so all you piss-in-a-bottle types don't pull my HB card :mug:

So I actually tried one of these today.

I was at the Blues Festival in Chicago, and we were getting ready to leave. I had 9 food/drink tickets left, which were otherwise going to waste. The only beer choices were Bud, BL, BL Lime, and Bud Select. The BL Lime happened to be exactly 9 tix.

Sometimes you just gotta say, "what the bless".

So I slapped down my 9 tix, got my shiny, ice-cold 16-oz aluminum bottle, and took a swig. Tastes unbelievably like Sprite...well, maybe not that sugary. More like Diet Sprite, without the artificial sweetener aftertaste.

I swear, if I did a blind taste of BL Lime against a 50/50 mix of Sprite/Diet Sprite, I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Good beer? No. Good drink? decent. Pretty refreshing, especially on a humid 90F day, with a 40-lb kid+backpack on my back.

Gotta say, if I were ever at some BMC-only picnic or something, I might reach for one of these again over any of the other options. I'd certainly take it 10 times out of 10 over a Corona. Setting aside the expectation, of course, that it's going to be anything that remotely resembles beer.

And now that I'm back home, I'm gonna crack another Goose IPA, just so all you piss-in-a-bottle types don't pull my HB card :mug:

*whispers* I had a couple at a BBQ the other day...Not bad for a 90 degree day...Would I pick it over GOOD beer? Never.

Would I grab it out of an ice cold cooler full of that and other BMC's with not a decent beer in site?

You betcha. I liked the limey-ness of it. And it helped hide the horrible budweiser taste...Plus it was refreshing in the heat.

Did I drink a couple of my Homebrews when I got home to appease the beer gods?

Most Definitely:D

In a bucket, add 1 pound light DME, 4 pounds corn sugar, and a packet of this.

1.jpg

Add .01 ounce of American Hallertau and ferment with Windsor for a refreshing clone of Bud Light Lime. :D

In a bucket, add 1 pound light DME, 4 pounds corn sugar, and a packet of this.

1.jpg

Add .01 ounce of American Hallertau and ferment with Windsor for a refreshing clone of Bud Light Lime. :D

hmmmm.....interesting....but I think you're using too much hops there...this is still Buttwiper we're talking about.:D

Ed, I tried your Bud Light Lime clone recipe and I think that you're way overdoing it with the hops, I'd cut the Hallertau addition in half at least.

EDIT - Revvy beat me to it!

You know I had one of these the other day as well. It did however remind me of limeade mixed with malted milk. Not the greatest taste combo...

I can't make fun of anyone because I'm about to crack open my favorite 90 degree summer beer ever - Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Oh my...

AFAIK, it's like "Chill" without the salt. I've never had either of them, but the boys up the street were raving about it at the Mem Day BBQ.

Alright, admission time. Please don't hold this against me, but it turns out my father is a big fan of the "BLL" as he calls it. He doesn't like beer. Regular Bud is "too damn bitter", LOL! He found a sorta beer he likes:(

I'm visiting in two months. I'm sure I'll be forced to try one. I'll probably need some sort of homebrewtalk cleansing when I get back:drunk:

Late August he'll be here at my home visiting my family. I really need to find a recipe he might like. It will be quite a challenge. I'm thinking maybe I should try my first sweet stout? He seems to not hate stouts as much as lighter beers.

I was at the grocery store picking up a 750 ml corked bottle of Duval when a guy spots my Ben Franklin Beer shirt. Hey where did you get that? he asks, and then goes over and picks up a sixer of BLL. His girlfriend goes Ewwww! Put that back and get some Dos Equis and lime if you want something decent. I laughed and agreed, but he kept the BLL. She muttered about cutting him off if he did not switch...:D

maybe I'm just a noob brewer...but I wonder what kind of REAL Lime Lager or Pilsner we could brew? think it would be good? how would you do it?

I'm growing pressure from the lady friends to brew something vagina friendly.

maybe I'm just a noob brewer...but I wonder what kind of REAL Lime Lager or Pilsner we could brew? think it would be good? how would you do it?

I'm growing pressure from the lady friends to brew something vagina friendly.

I've actually brewed a lime cream ale on occasion...totally forgot to try brewing one as a lager this winter, oh well....

The recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch is here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/854185-post9.html

Back