Saison Bucket 7 Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbals

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY3725
Yeast Starter
2 L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
WY3711
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Aroma is Floral, citrus with spice,finish-doesn\\'t taste nearly as dry as it finishes.
Tank 7 (clone-ish)

I say clone-ish simply because they remove their house belgium strain of yeast and use champagne yeast to bottle. I've also changed it to a single infusion as I couldn't detect the difference between the multiple infusions version I made and the single infusion posted bellow:

I enjoy Tank 7 and contacted the brewery with my recipe hoping for some more info. To my surprise they responded quickly with percentages and mash schedule so I came up with this recipe. I decided to post this after seeing the amount of interest (full PM mailbox) when I mentioned their email response when I inquired about the recipe. Yeast, yes the yeast- I was told it is a house Belgium Strain. So far, I've been enjoying this with starting with WY3725 and pitching WY3711 between days 5-7.

I've brewed this several times now- It is a house favorite.

Est SG: 1.069
Est FG: 1.003

~8.5%

Mash Ingredients

11 lbs 4 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)Grain 77.6 %
3 lbs 3 oz Corn - Yellow, Flaked (Briess) (1.3 SRM)Grain 20.0 %
4.6 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)Grain 2.4 %

Mash Steps
Single infusion at 152 F.

0.15 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
3.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Dry Hop
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Awesome. I am going to brew this.

Can you show us the email? I'd like to try and tweak it by using an ounce of something for the bittering instead of the magnum and simcoe (save money by buying one packet of something.) I'm thinking cascade. Do you think this would adversely impact the beer?

What fermentation temperature works best for this beer?

I've made this beer a dozen times..... One of my favorite versions is using one-hop (blend) Falconer's Flight. Just adjust you IBU's accordingly.
I have little control of fermentation temps so usually 68-72, the 3711 would ferment your hydrometer if you left it in there too long.

I removed names and emails of the innocent....

"Thanks for contacting us, Daniel. It's always nice to hear from people who enjoy our beers as much as we do!

We brew fairly large batches of Tank 7 (as compared to a homebrew scale) so rather than providing an actual recipe, I'll share some malt percentages and hop information based on IBUs derived from each hop and at what time during the boil. Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense and I'd be happy to help some more.

Malts
Pale Malt 77.6%
Pre-gelatinized Corn Flakes 20%
Malted White Wheat 2.4%

We mash in at 63C and rest for 50 minutes. Heat up to 68C and rest for 25 minutes. Heat to 73C and rest for 15 minutes before mashing off at 75C.

Hops
Magnum 6.4 IBUs at 98C
Simcoe 7.1 IBUs at 15 minutes after beginning of boil
Amarillo 14.0 IBUs at 65 minutes after beginning of boil (or 5 minutes before end of boil)
Amarillo 9.6 IBUs in the whirlpool

We boil for 70 minutes so adjust these times accordingly based on the length of your boil. Target gravity at end of boil is 17.3 degrees Plato.

We cool the wort to 19C and pitch with our House Belgian Ale strain. We ferment at 21 C until we reach our final gravity of 2.2 degrees Plato.

Tank 7 is dry hopped with Amarillo at the rate of .078 kg per barrel two days out from filtration.

I hope you find this information useful, and, please let me know if you have any other questions. Happy brewing!

Cheers!"

Haven't made the jump to all grain. Anyone have an extract w/steeping grains recipe for this? Tank 7 is one of my favorite brews and would love to take a crack at brewing it. Thanks

Wow! This thing is over the top. Great recipe. Like a funky dank mango IIPA, but not as sticky. Unfortunately I cannot get Boulevard Tank 7 where I live, and can only compare to my memory of it- regardless this is along the same lines as tank 7 and is one tasty beer. Next time I make this, I think I am going to try to bring the OG down to around 1.055 to make this closer to sessionable. It is too good to only have one...

Here is what I brewed:

OG 1.068
FG 1.001
ABV 8.8%

33% Pilsner
33% Maris Otter
22% Flaked Corn
6% White Wheat
3% Flaked Wheat
2% Acid Malt

.25oz Warrior @ 60
.25oz Simcoe @ 45
1oz Amarillo @ 5
2oz Amarillo whirlpool x 30 min
1.5oz Amarillo dry hop in keg while carbonating

WY 3711 3 weeks ~ 70 deg

Wow! This thing is over the top. Great recipe. Like a funky dank mango IIPA, but not as sticky. Unfortunately I cannot get Boulevard Tank 7 where I live, and can only compare to my memory of it- regardless this is along the same lines as tank 7 and is one tasty beer. Next time I make this, I think I am going to try to bring the OG down to around 1.055 to make this closer to sessionable. It is too good to only have one...

Here is what I brewed:

OG 1.068
FG 1.001
ABV 8.8%

33% Pilsner
33% Maris Otter
22% Flaked Corn
6% White Wheat
3% Flaked Wheat
2% Acid Malt

.25oz Warrior @ 60
.25oz Simcoe @ 45
1oz Amarillo @ 5
2oz Amarillo whirlpool x 30 min
1.5oz Amarillo dry hop in keg while carbonating

WY 3711 3 weeks ~ 70 deg

I brewed this last week, except used all amarillo and the boulevard grain bill and did hit the OG 1.071. It's been 7.5 days, and it's down to 1.004. Tastes delicious, but definitely not sessionable. Doesn't taste 9% but once it's bottled you could easily smash yourself with it before you know it. I imagine it's very similar to yours, I think the belle saison that I did at 85F should be similar to that 3711.

This looks great! I enjoyed a few Tank 7's this summer and thought to myself: "thats an amazing saison". I've got a great saison strain from a local denver yeast company which i'll throw at it. Although I think I may wait until feb so this is ready for the start of spring. I'm filling up my keezer with winter warmers for the next few months.

I've now made this recipe several times with all Citra, all Amarillo and even tried Omega Saisionstein yeast. My favorite right now is the all Amarillo with the Omega yeast.

Just brewed this with the dry belle saison instead. Missed the mash temp by a degree (151). Boiled a bit longer due to a tank change. Ended up with 1.068 We'll see how it turns out, started fermenting at 18.5c I plan on ramping up a bit over the next five days.

Just brewed this with the dry belle saison instead. Missed the mash temp by a degree (151). Boiled a bit longer due to a tank change. Ended up with 1.068 We'll see how it turns out, started fermenting at 18.5c I plan on ramping up a bit over the next five days.

I did this, with Belle, 1.071, ramped quickly to 86F before the first week was done. Best beer I've brewed.

I did this, with Belle, 1.071, ramped quickly to 86F before the first week was done. Best beer I've brewed.

Will be doing the original recipe but with Belle Yeast this week myself. Excited that spring is here! Will update the result

I've now made this recipe several times with all Citra, all Amarillo and even tried Omega Saisionstein yeast. My favorite right now is the all Amarillo with the Omega yeast.

How did you like the Citra? I might brew this on Saturday and have some frozen Citra pellets on hand.

I'm from the motherland of Tank 7 and had some issues with my yeast getting way too hot. What I'm trying to say is that Tank 7 is my favorite Boulevard product and it warms my heart that so many people are cloning it. Hats off to you guys!

How did you like the Citra? I might brew this on Saturday and have some frozen Citra pellets on hand.

The all Citra works well and I believe has been the most popular version for non- craft beer drinkers. It can get a little tiresome of being accused of adding tangerines to the all Citra version. Joking aside- the recipe works and I thank the brewers for being so cool about responding to my requests. Yes, requests! They gave me quite a few pointers to their Chocolate Ale too- which seems like the only beer that the keep the recipe off limits.

I'm from the motherland of Tank 7 and had some issues with my yeast getting way too hot. What I'm trying to say is that Tank 7 is my favorite Boulevard product and it warms my heart that so many people are cloning it. Hats off to you guys!

Yeah, still waiting to brew the Belle Saison yeast version. But until they release the yeast to the public, we are stuck. As mentioned before its a house yeast strain. If someone gets ahold of it- I would be willing to teach them how to send me a sample (very little is needed and I would supply the packets, wire, envelope and stamp- they would supply 1 drop of the yeast and an open flame). :mug:

Dan B.

How long from brew day till drinkable for you? I am planning a special brew for labor day and wondering when I should brew. Tried the original the other day and loved it. Be a great hot afternoon beer.

In most cases 3711 or with Omega Saisonstein- give it ten days before moving to keg or bottling bucket. My notes say 3711 (brewed several times) was done in about 5 days. The Omega Labs was done in 7. Keep in mind 3711 is a beast and I always give a few extra days for the yeast to clean up- just wish they did a better job of cleaning the bucket!

A couple days to carb but I really think it really hits it's stride around 3-4 weeks after brewing. I had one almost a year later- it was still damn good.

Hope that helps,
Dan B

Thanks! Have to try this soon and getting the fast turn around allows tweaking before the concert.

i'm sure a lot of breweries will give you exact recipe info, but another reason i love boulevard is that they respond quickly and will answer all your questions. they make great beers (one of my favorites is their hoppy wheat), and seem to be a great company on top of that. i've never tried tank 7, but been really curious. here in norway they're ridiculously priced, so i guess i'll have to wait until i visit oklahoma again. but this definitely makes me curious!

Brewed a variation of this, it's fermenting nicely at 80°
76% 2 Row
20% Flaked Maize
4% White Wheat
Gravity: 14.9°p

FWH with magnum, Summit @ 40min, Amarillo at flame out. Target 27ibus.

Fermenting with WY3711.
Wort tasted awesome, I'm looking forward to this one! Thanks for sharing!

Brewed a variation of this, it's fermenting nicely at 80°
76% 2 Row
20% Flaked Maize
4% White Wheat
Gravity: 14.9°p

FWH with magnum, Summit @ 40min, Amarillo at flame out. Target 27ibus.

Fermenting with WY3711.
Wort tasted awesome, I'm looking forward to this one! Thanks for sharing!

Update on this, dry hopped with 30g each of Amarillo and azaaca. Keg yesterday and tastes great, nice Belgian characteristics with a great popping aroma from the American hops. This is a great beer but nothing like tank 7, WY3711 is great but almost to clean. I'll try a Belgian saison strain that throws a bit more funk and farmhouse characteristics. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!

I just bottled my first brew of this. I messed up my volume and got an OG of 1.060 with a FG of 1.006. It tastes pretty good warm, green, and flat. I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

Thanks for the recipe!

Wow, this recipe sounds great! I'm from Toronto and we don't get Tank 7 here (at least not yet, it'll apparently be coming to the LCBO soon, fingers crossed), but I'd love to make this in the mean time. What batch size is your original recipe for? I currently do 2 gallon batches and would like to scale this down. Thanks!

i'm having an issue with beersmith and this recipe. when i type it all in (and then add acidulated malt), with a biab light body mash profile, it's giving me an FG of 1.019. Even when I edit a profile and make the mash temp 148F, it's still only 1.016. Is this just considering the corn to not ferment out all the way or what? what can i do to fix this?

Wow, this recipe sounds great! I'm from Toronto and we don't get Tank 7 here (at least not yet, it'll apparently be coming to the LCBO soon, fingers crossed), but I'd love to make this in the mean time. What batch size is your original recipe for? I currently do 2 gallon batches and would like to scale this down. Thanks!

5.5 gal. Keep in mind hops do not directly scale up or down.

i'm having an issue with beersmith and this recipe. when i type it all in (and then add acidulated malt), with a biab light body mash profile, it's giving me an FG of 1.019. Even when I edit a profile and make the mash temp 148F, it's still only 1.016. Is this just considering the corn to not ferment out all the way or what? what can i do to fix this?

Same for me in Beersmith even with 3711 as a yeast. Last time around I brewed this recipe it finished at 1.010

Same for me in Beersmith even with 3711 as a yeast. Last time around I brewed this recipe it finished at 1.010

So weird. So should I just go with the recipe as is and see what happens? How long are you fermenting, and are you doing any temp steps during ferment?

In my experience brewing software doesn't really know what the FG will be. Best bet is to brew it once and then edit the attenuation for that recipe the next time. I'm surprised you guys haven't had beersmith barf on the FG for other recipes.

In my experience brewing software doesn't really know what the FG will be. Best bet is to brew it once and then edit the attenuation for that recipe the next time. I'm surprised you guys haven't had beersmith barf on the FG for other recipes.

i've had beersmith be wrong before, but it's when I didn't type in all the parameters for my equipment and process and what not correctly. Since that point, it's not been wrong once. Not for any part of the process. It accurately guesses water additions and temp additions to the T. It still amazes me how accurate the software is.

i've had beersmith be wrong before, but it's when I didn't type in all the parameters for my equipment and process and what not correctly. Since that point, it's not been wrong once. Not for any part of the process. It accurately guesses water additions and temp additions to the T. It still amazes me how accurate the software is.

Water additions, temp additions, boiloffs, most is pretty easily calculated. Controlling for whether your particular yeast strain will eat that particular sugar is not as easy. What does beersmith tell you belle saison or 3711 would finish at on a 1.040 saison? It'll probably be too high on the FG unless you manually edit the attenuation.

Water additions, temp additions, boiloffs, most is pretty easily calculated. Controlling for whether your particular yeast strain will eat that particular sugar is not as easy. What does beersmith tell you belle saison or 3711 would finish at on a 1.040 saison? It'll probably be too high on the FG unless you manually edit the attenuation.

what temp mash?

Go with 152F? I've mashed 146F and 156F with belle, finished about the same. It doesn't seem to care that much.

all pale malt.

1.009 at 156

1.008 at 154

1.007 at 152

1.006 at 150

1.005 at 148

but then the screwy thing starts up again. 1.008 at 146... same at 144, and 142, and 147. but 1.005 at 148...

all pale malt.

1.009 at 156

1.008 at 154

1.007 at 152

1.006 at 150

1.005 at 148

but then the screwy thing starts up again. 1.008 at 146... same at 144, and 142, and 147. but 1.005 at 148...

In reality I have finished below 1.000 (.996-.999) almost every time with OG between 1.040 and 1.055. Highest finish was 1.003. I've only once used straight pale malt (typically use wheat or flaked barley or something) and I don't use sugar, either.

My software typically predicts about the same as what you're predicting here.

In reality I have finished below 1.000 (.996-.999) almost every time with OG between 1.040 and 1.055. Highest finish was 1.003. I've only once used straight pale malt (typically use wheat or flaked barley or something) and I don't use sugar, either.

My software typically predicts about the same as what you're predicting here.

ok, so should i just go with the original recipe, mash time/temp and everything, and just see where it gets me?

Back