bubbles and void in beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leveilmc

Reaction score
Hello, i am having trouble getting my keg system properly balanced. Every glass is 90% foam. I am working with a commercial keg of sam adams cold snap. After each pour, a bunch of bubbles build up above the coupler. Eventually the bubbles go away and i am left with a void of 5-6 inches in the beer line. Once the happens, i get a burst of foam on the next pour. I have attached a picture to help show what i mean.

I have tried the following...
re tightened all connections
used soap and water to make sure no leaks
both increased and decreased the pressure giving a few days in between
bleed the co2 from keg and repressurized. During this process i shook the keg to help release all gas. During this process when pulling pressure relief on coupler foam came out in between keg seal and coupler

Some background info...
kegerator is beverage air bm23
Tower is cooled
beer temp is 38 degrees measured on second pour
beer line is 5'
beer line and connections are all new
co2 regulator is older
keg coupler is older

Not sure what to try next. Is it possible the coupler is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

20150416_195435.jpg

I too have 5 ft lines and keep my kegerator at abot 35-36F, fan circulating air up the tower. Similar setup in other words.

How did you carbonate. Any shaking? Did that once and had the problems you are experiencing

The other thing i notice in the picture is a pretty sharp curve in the line. I'm not sure how important that is but I coil the lines to minimize any sudden change in line resistance.

I have no issues with 5ft lines at serving pressures of 12psi for most types (lower for stouts, higher for Hefes) at 36F. I never shake my kegs.

Keg beer
purge headspace
30psi for 36 hours
Reduce to serving pressure

Works every time

Longer lines would be better for sure especially for styles needing greater volumes of CO2. 1ft per psi is often advocated as a good starting point.

The only time I have experienced that is when the beer in the line warms up (>45 degrees or so). The CO2 will then come out of the beer and gather at the highest point in the line.

The only time I have experienced that is when the beer in the line warms up (>45 degrees or so). The CO2 will then come out of the beer and gather at the highest point in the line.

This. I think it's a temp difference in the kegerator. Mine does this too. It's not that extreme, but I don't worry about it.

A few questions based off responses..

1. If the problem is caused by temp differential, shouldn't that go away after the first pour? My problem is on every pour.

2. Is there a way to avoid the high arc after the coupler? I am wondering if that that would help.

If it is warm you will see the co2 coming out of the beer immediately. The warmer it is the faster it will escape.

i was having that problem with my system turned out to be a bad oring under the connector allowing co2 to escape into the beer line. mine was on a corny keg not sure if its set up the same with your setup but worth a shot

With a BM 23 you have a fan so temp difference is not the problem. Beer line length will not balance your system it is only used to control the flow. It looks like your psi is to low and co2 is coming out of solution. So first you have to know the volume of co2 the beer was keg at E=mail Sam Adams at
https://www.samueladams.com/contact-us and ask for the volume of co2.
Than use this chart to set the psi.
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
The keg will take a day or two acclimate. If the temp. and psi are right and you still get foam than it could be the coupler or a bad keg. The high arc is fine but they do make a 90.

This usually happens when the beer is carbonated at a higher pressure that you are using to serve it.

I agree...

On the few occasions I do over carb my kegs, I get the same exact problem you are having. What I do is turn my C02 off, shake my keg then burp it. Rinse and repeat this about 4-5 times in a row or until you burp and get little to no hiss sound. Set your pressure back to 10-12psi and you should be good to go. Be sure to let it settle for a couple of hours after the shaking part tho.

With the commercial type kegs, as with most kegs...the gas is going to go where there is least resistance. If pressure inside keg is greater than pressure in the line then it will push itself out until it equalizes. This gives you that distinct air gap in your system. Just my two cents.

If you pull the pressure relief valve does the beer level in the tubing go down? Wouldn't that prove that the beer is overcarbed?

If you pull the pressure relief valve does the beer level in the tubing go down? Wouldn't that prove that the beer is overcarbed?

Not always, a lot of the commercial systems have a check valve, once the beer is out its out. Not sure about OP coupling system, can only see top part but on my sanke connector (i enjoy a keg of ghost river (memphis local brew) every now and then), the relief valve is below the check valve.

Thanks for the suggestions. update - I contacted sam adams. They recommend setting regulator to 13 psi and an out the tap temperature of 38-42. I have set the pressure and will wait a few days to see if the system balances.

Back