Bubble gum flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
Any idea what causes this?

I brewed a Bass Ale clone using WLP007. I Pitched at 65f and slowly let it come up to 68f. It was in primary for 4 weeks before I kegged it.

The first time I brewed this recipe it turned out perfect and I brewed this one exactly the same.

The only bubble gum-like flavor I've experienced was from Belgian Saison yeast. Is it possible that your temperature measurements were off or that you under-pitched? How were you controlling the temp of the carboy?

My guess is either the fermentation temperatures were higher than you realized or you under-pitched. From what I understand it's usually a flavor produced by Belgian and Bavarian yeast strains so I think it's kind of strange that it happened with an English strain.

The only bubble gum-like flavor I've experienced was from Belgian Saison yeast. Is it possible that your temperature measurements were off or that you under-pitched? How were you controlling the temp of the carboy?

I place the carboy in a cooler with frozen water bottles. The temp probe is taped to the side of the carboy with a piece of styrofoam taped over top of it. This is the same way I've been fermenting for 3 years.

Hmmm, the only other thing I can think of then is under-pitching. Maybe you got a vile that wasn't very healthy. Did it take longer than normal for fermentation to start?

Hmmm, the only other thing I can think of then is under-pitching. Maybe you got a vile that wasn't very healthy. Did it take longer than normal for fermentation to start?

I don't remember how long it took exactly, but I always make a starter and haven't had any problems with lag time.

Latest posts

Back