BRY-97 pitching rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
I'm doing an IPA that will be about 5.5% abv. How many grams of this should I pitch for 5 gallons? Thank you for your input.

1607733100776.png

Lallemand has a pitching rate calculator at
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en...orner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

ETA: If you're concerned about partial packages, either 1) pitch just one 11 gram package, 2) pitch two 11 gram packages, or 3) check out the "storage" section on page 2 of the technical data sheet: "If the opened package is re-sealed under vacuum immediately after opening, yeast can be stored below 4C° (39°F) until the indicated expiry date. "

Last edited:
Lallemand has a pitching rate calculator at
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en...orner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

ETA: If you're concerned about partial packages, either 1) pitch just one 11 gram package, 2) pitch two 11 gram packages, or 3) check out the "storage" section on page 2 of the technical data sheet: "If the opened package is re-sealed under vacuum immediately after opening, yeast can be stored below 4C° (39°F) until the indicated expiry date. "
Useful tool, thanks!

I've never used BRY-97 before. I use US-05 95% of the time. For a 5 gallon batch i throw in one whole 11g packet, & then i throw in half of a 11g packet. I have always gotten a quick & clean fermentation. Usually i pitch at around 67-68 degrees. The temp usually shoots up to somewhere between 71-73 degees during fermentation. I've never had any issues with this method.

For 5 gallons, you should be fine with 1 sachet. I've started pitching a bit more and for me, it made things better. Take this with a grain of salt, as this is my personal experience across only 40-50 batches. The Lallemand yeast pitch calculator is a great tool, which comes in handy when in doubt. I believe they wouldn't have it, if it didn't work.

Note however that BRY-97 is known to be a slow starter - many brewers find that it takes 24-36 hours to see visible activity with this yeast. I've also read ( very few ) that some have not experienced this long lag. So be prepared not to freak out, if nothing visible is happening in the first 36 hours. So maybe it would be an idea to either pitch a bit more or start fermentation at a higher temperature - maybe 66F/19C and ramp it up to around 72F/22C after the first 3-4 days of activity. Whatever you do, make sure to take samples and determine gravity using a calibrated hydrometer - this is the only way to know if the beer is or has been fermenting.

For 5 gallons, you should be fine with 1 sachet. I've started pitching a bit more and for me, it made things better. Take this with a grain of salt, as this is my personal experience across only 40-50 batches. The Lallemand yeast pitch calculator is a great tool, which comes in handy when in doubt. I believe they wouldn't have it, if it didn't work.

Note however that BRY-97 is known to be a slow starter - many brewers find that it takes 24-36 hours to see visible activity with this yeast. I've also read ( very few ) that some have not experienced this long lag. So be prepared not to freak out, if nothing visible is happening in the first 36 hours. So maybe it would be an idea to either pitch a bit more or start fermentation at a higher temperature - maybe 66F/19C and ramp it up to around 72F/22C after the first 3-4 days of activity. Whatever you do, make sure to take samples and determine gravity using a calibrated hydrometer - this is the only way to know if the beer is or has been fermenting.
I ended-up pitching 16 grams because my OG was higher than expected and had vigorous activity in less than 24 hours. I'm not saying "bubble sound" is any kind of scientific indicator, but it's the first yeast I've pitched that I could hear the sound 6 feet away through the closed mini-fridge fermenting chamber. Very, very vigorous for 5 days and on the 6th day bubbles are really slowing.

Back