Brutus/March pump Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I am doing my first brew on my Brutus and I am running into an issue with the March Pump. I am trying to recirc the wort in the BK, but I am not able to get the fluid to flow completely through the march pump to prime.

Here is what I am doing:
I open the valve on the March pump and then open the valve on the BK.
I see some fluid come in into the tubing but it then stops and I then here bubbling sounds.

I am sure there is an easy fix but all the different variations I try do not seem to work.

Thanks for any help

Add a tee and bleeder valve to the output side of the pump. Open the valve to bleed air from the lines and pump head. The valve can also be used to dump any excess water from HLT etc if need be. You can also take wort samples from the valve at any point desired. You need only use a small 1/4" valve for this.

I usually bring the output tubing down to the level of the pump until the lines fill with wort then bring them up to the kettle and turn the pump on.

Exactly why I stopped using march pumps, way to much fiddling to get a prime. You'd think for $130 a pump would actually pump.

What are you using / recommend now?

Gravity. I actually quit using a pump because of all the problems. I did however recently get a pump off of ebay that works VERY well, although the temps are limited. (203f) not really a limitation if you ask me. Plus it's half the price and primes like a dream. I'm going to experiment with re-circulating no sparge batches. This is the one, except not 230v, that's all they currently have available.http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorman-Rupp-Ind...cmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Pumps?hash=item255576ad56

OP, take a picture of your setup and post it here. That will help diagnose.

Pump_Setup.JPG

Here is my Setup for my march pumps. It was 50/50 on whether I was able to get the pump properly primed throughout the brew day. Like I said in the OP, I used all different scenarios in which valve I opened first and it was with mixed results.

I have taken a look at McMaster-Carr's website to search for bleeder valves and I am not exactly sure what I need to look for, so any help in that area is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Install the bleeder valve between the pump and the output control valve. You only need a small 1/4" valve. To purge the air, close the output valve, open the kettle valve and turn on the pump. Then open the bleeder valve until you get a strong flow. This will be obvious when it happens. Once the air is purged, close the bleeder valve and you are good to go. You may want to attach a barb adapter and short hose to the bleeder valve in order to direct the output into a container of some sort. You will inevitably spill some liquid when purging the air.

Install the bleeder valve between the pump and the output control valve. You only need a small 1/4" valve. To purge the air, close the output valve, open the kettle valve and turn on the pump. Then open the bleeder valve until you get a strong. This will be obvious when it happens. Once the air is purged, close the bleeder valve and you are good to go. You may want to attach a barb adapter and short hose to the bleeder valve in order to direct the output into a container of some sort. You will inevitably spill some liquid when purging the air.

Could you post a link to a "bleeder valve"? It looks like I should just install a T, screw the T to the March Pump, screw the ball valve to the opposite side, and install a small ball valve to the stem of the T with a hose attached.

Gravity. I actually quit using a pump because of all the problems. I did however recently get a pump off of ebay that works VERY well, although the temps are limited. (203f) not really a limitation if you ask me. Plus it's half the price and primes like a dream. I'm going to experiment with re-circulating no sparge batches. This is the one, except not 230v, that's all they currently have available.http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorman-Rupp-Ind...cmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Pumps?hash=item255576ad56

Nice link that pump looks great! I've been considering a pump for some time now

Latest posts

Back