• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Texas BRUTUS 20 Style Temperature Controlled Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbc

Reaction score
After a lot of thought, I have decided to move to a smaller brew rig. I am selling my BRUTUS 20 Style, 3 Vessel, temperature controlled, direct-fired natural gas RIMS system. Includes a 20 gallon boil kettle with whirlpool arm, 20 gallon MLT, and a 15 gallon HLT, two stand mounted Blichmann Tower of Power controllers for MLT and HLT, a high output march pump controlled with a stand mounted switch, and a B3 convoluted counterflow chiller. I recently upgraded the valves so there is no need to swap hoses during transfers. I use it as a batch sparge system, but it could be upgraded for fly sparging with the addition of another pump. The stand is professionally welded 2" box steel. The burners are 20 tip natural gas wok burners. The stand was designed so that it could handle kettles twice the size. I’m guessing it could handle more than that. It is extremely robust and well built. It has been used and stored in my garage under a dust cover.

Only imperfections are a small dent in the HLT, a few spots that need to be sanded and painted (I have used high temp paint on the stand), and the external thermometer on the boil kettle does not work (I may have a replacement lying around).

$3,250. All reasonable offers considered. Sold AS IS where it is (75703).

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.

PhmN5Ep.jpg

I may be interested in your setup. I don’t know much about the type of burners you have. Can they be converted to propane? Also, how would the 20 gallon kettles work for a 5 gallon batch? Doable? I’m only a few hours away from you.

I may be interested in your setup. I don’t know much about the type of burners you have. Can they be converted to propane? Also, how would the 20 gallon kettles work for a 5 gallon batch? Doable? I’m only a few hours away from you.

Yes, they can be converted. You just have to replace the tips with propane tips. They just unscrew and screw back in with a little gas style tape. eBay has them.

I have done 5 gallon batches. You run a higher liquor to grist ratio because of the space above the false bottom, but the smaller batches I have done have turned out great.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
... Duplicate Post . . .

Last edited:
Just an FYI this is a Brutus 10 style system--- Brutus 20 is a two pot set-up. You might want to edit to bring more eyeballs to your ad!

Nicey system and GLWS

:mug:

Just an FYI this is a Brutus 10 style system--- Brutus 20 is a two pot set-up. You might want to edit to bring more eyeballs to your ad!

Nicey system and GLWS

:mug:
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Tried to edit, but it's apparently timed out.

Last edited:
A few more pictures. The bottom two are before the upgrades to the valves, but you get the idea.

uXFJqXx.jpg

tzkFjCw.jpg

cAhyi1c.jpg

How old is the system? Did you build it? What brand are the kettles?

It's just over six years old. I had the sand professionally welded by a local welder. The gas plumbing was professionally installed by a local plumbing combany. All of the kettles are the triple ply bottom stainless kettls. The HLT is from Morebeer. The MLT and Brew Kettle are from Homebrewstuff.com. I think the supplier is the same. The only difference is that thermometer and ball valve ports on the HLT are welded and are weldless on the other two. The return ports on the MLT and BK are welded by the same local company that built the stand.

I'm up to parting it out. The amount in parenthesis is for shipping, which is less than what it actually will cost me to ship any of this. But since I am considering reasonable offers, I want to exclude a small amount to get the stuff from me to you. I accept paypal.

Brew Stand with casters $500 (pickup only)

2 Blichman TOP Controllers and wiring (Gas) $450 each ($12)

20 Gallon Kettle with Whirlpool Return $200 ($25)

20 Gallon Mash Tun $250 ($25)

15 Gallon HLT $175 ($20)

High Efficiency March Pump $100 ($10)

Convoluted Counter Flow Chiller $125 ($10)

3 20 Tip Natural Gas Wok Burners $20 each

Please read the description above for more details or feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Back