Brutus 20 False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboblitt

Reaction score
So I have most of the parts spec'd out for a small countertop brutus 20 (many thanks to all of the great write ups on here of similar set ups) and I am trying to decide what kind of filter for the mash tun. I have been using a SS hose braid for batch sparging but I am thinking that anytime you are talking a recirculating mash a false bottom would help to prevent stuck sparges. Anyone have any wisdom or thoughts on this? I am also thinking that if I go with a false bottom it will leave me the option of fly sparging in the future with minimal change in equipment.

I have two Brutus 20s and both are false bottom. If you are going to recirc for any length or time or at any reasonable speed, you will thank yourself for going with the false bottom.

I use a false bottom and a voile curtain in my CB20 system. The voile curtain (from Target) keeps the smaller particles from going into my BK and is a snap to clean up. I tried a braid once and it clogged on me, although others have had success with it.

Back