BruControl build planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The faceplate looks like it'd make a neato halloween mask; the eyeholes and mouth vents are perfect and remind me of something an evil robotic goalie might wear. But to get back on topic, lookin' good!

RIMS element and pump water tested! Now waiting on remaining valves and fittings to arrive from China. After that, I need to figure out how to attach the plumbing skirt to my shelf, and then it's a lot of valve/sensor wiring. Lots more work to do, but I'm slowly getting closer...

Progress report (no pictures this time, sorry): most of the way done with splicing, soldering, heat shrinking, and sleeving all of my valve and sensor wires. Still waiting on two more 3-way valves to arrive from China (weirdly by way of Bahrain, with this shipment). I'm about 50% done with the internal low voltage wiring from the mega/relays to the connectors in the bottom plate. Temp sensors are wired and functioning. 1 of 2 volume sensors are wired and functioning. My plumbing skirt board is painted and ready to be mounted to the brew stand, after which time I'll be able to mount the pumps/RIMS and hopefully get things plumbed.

Getting closer!

Dry fitting pumps and valves on the plumbing skirt.
IMG_9891.JPG

Last edited:
A couple of other bits of recent progress: my temperature and pressure sensor combo reads both with a single kettle hole (and it's removable for cleaning).
IMG_1578.jpg

Also, I attached my plumbing skirt to the stand via some simple hinges. Most of the time it will be vertical (including during brew sessions). But I can swing it up to access the keg storage underneath.
IMG_2072.jpg

Even closer now! I've started work on my brew script, and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to hook everything up for testing shortly after the holidays.

Another incremental update, plumbing completed!* Pro tip: do a better job of planning your plumbing than I did. I ended up making 5 or 6 separate orders for fittings after realizing (5 or 6 times) that I'd ordered too few of something.
IMG_9136.JPG

* Except for the garden hose between the first 3-way valve and the chiller. But at least that should be pretty plug and play and won't involve any hose cutting, etc.

On the kettle on the left, what is the sensor on the top of the tee coming out of the bottom right side of the kettle?

Thanks! I was trying to figure out how to mount the pressure sensors in my build and that seems ideal for my setup. You've saved me a huge headache.

On your chiller, in the picture it looks like both the wort in and wort out ports are plumbed to the output side of your pump. I'm sure that's just the angle in the picture.

Thanks! I was trying to figure out how to mount the pressure sensors in my build and that seems ideal for my setup. You've saved me a huge headache.

On your chiller, in the picture it looks like both the wort in and wort out ports are plumbed to the output side of your pump. I'm sure that's just the angle in the picture.
Just FYI, if you want to do it exactly like I did, you need 150mm long RTD probes. Auber has them, but I got mine for a bit less (plus a lot of waiting) from aliexpress.

Re: the plumbing, yes, I have my chiller plumbed to go back into the kettle if I want to chill the whole batch rather than run directly into the kettle. There's a 3 way valve on the chiller, so I can run directly into the fermenter if I want. For anyone who cares, here's a diagram of how my system is plumbed:
adman 2v Plumbing v2.png

I like the pressure sensor tee mounted on a camlock. Will allow cleaning later. This design is a lower cost and likely easier way to add pressure sensors than flush diaphragm style, and the vertical orientation creates an air gap which allows for sensors with small holes to be used (no junk inside).

@CadiBrewer: High-temp sensor for brew kettle, and, if you care, the 150mm rtd sensors I used with the tee. The sensor I'm using for my mash tun appears to be the same sensor as the high-temp one, but in a less robust enclosure. The link from my orders no longer works for that one. With all of these things, you need to specify that you want NPT threads in your order. Or ask the seller before you order to confirm that NPT is available. Oh, and you need to specify the pressure range you want for your sensor. I went with 0-6 kPa. Let me know if you have any other questions.

@CadiBrewer: High-temp sensor for brew kettle, and, if you care, the 150mm rtd sensors I used with the tee. The sensor I'm using for my mash tun appears to be the same sensor as the high-temp one, but in a less robust enclosure. The link from my orders no longer works for that one. With all of these things, you need to specify that you want NPT threads in your order. Or ask the seller before you order to confirm that NPT is available. Oh, and you need to specify the pressure range you want for your sensor. I went with 0-6 kPa. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I do have one question. What output signal is best for our use - 4-20mA, 0-5VDC, or 0-10VDC?

Hoping to run the inaugural brew tomorrow or Friday! In the meantime, here is a pic of testing the clean/rinse script with both elements firing simultaneously. 45.9 amps, baby!
IMG_0317.jpg

Yes. I have run a couple of water tests. Found several bugs and squashed them. I fully expect to find more, but I'm optimistic that I will make sugar water, and the yeast will do the rest!

First brew is in the bag! Or fermenter, I guess. As expected on any new system, there were many hiccups, but I mostly hit my numbers and there were no show-stopping issues.

Here are the only pics I snapped during the whole 6 hours (how can a 6 hour brew day seem so hectic?): the control panel during the 4th mash step and the sight glass showing some lovely clear wort recirculating.
IMG_8628.jpg IMG_1954.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to clean up more easily. @BrunDog- how do you get rid of the grains in your mashtun before beginning your CIP routine?

Looks like sugar water! Congrats! Any feedback on BC's operation (good or bad OK)?

I disconnect the hose into the pump and put it in a bucket. I set a garbage bag on the stand and clamp it to the MT. I use a red solo cup and scoop out the grain into the bag. Then I rinse down the sides, pull the false bottom, and keep rinsing. With the bottom drain, its silly easy to rinse the remainder into the bucket. I then set up the CIP arm.

Ah, the bottom drain. Yeah, my next mashtun should have one of those.

BruControl worked great. I had some typos/errors in my script in areas I hadn't fully reached in testing, e.g. I had several errors where "sleep", "wait", and "State" were not properly capitalized, which caused the script to error out. But that was user error and I was able to recover--usually by just jumping to the next step. Another brew or two and I'll have almost all of the bugs ironed out.

My biggest problems were rustiness and unfamiliarity--this is only the second time I've brewed in five years, and the first time I've brewed in this house, and on this system. Of course I dumped grains (dry and spent) all over my garage floor, which was fun to clean up, but I got (approximately) the right amount of the right gravity wort in the end.

Latest posts

Back