Brown vs carabrown at a 1:1 ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
Usually go anywhere from 17-25% brown malt. But it has a slight edge to it on the roast, so was told to swap carabrown-- It has the brown flavor without the roast edge. But as its a crystal malt, im wondering if 20-25% would just be way too high? Wouldn't mind the extra body buy dont want it coming off weirdly sweet due to crystal.

Is that the case? Or would 20% be ok?

Look into coffee malt
~150L, so a bit lighter than brown malt iirc
I love it. Use 15-20% in my porter(depending on gravity) as the only roasted malt. It's has plenty of complexity,but not harsh at all. Very smooth.

im not sure you're actually familiar with brown malt. its like 60-70 typically. carabrown is 55. no where near where you're thiking.

Simpsons is listed at 161-225
Was what I was looking at.
Guess it's one of those things where different maltsters in different parts of the world...

For what it's worth, I use 1# of carabrown in a fairly big bodied brown ale (6.5-7%) and it is almost indistinguishable from brown malt (except the slight lack of roast you mentioned) at ~8%

Back