Brown malt technique, SRM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
In the November issue of Brew your own, Terry Foster details how you can make your own amber or brown malts at home. My question is does anyone know the srm on these? Perhaps a round about figure.

I buy the Thomas Fawcett and Sons Abmer and Brown malts. Same price as any other specialty grain. I think the amber is ~25 and Brown is ~65.

Just checked Beer Smith and it says Amber 22 srm, and Brown 65. I made a batch based on the BYO article, and it came out great. I would definitely recommend giving home toasted malt a try.

Got a english brown ale recipe that has home made crystal and brown malts. Quite excited about it.

I want to add some brown malt to a Pilsner based upcoming brew.
Can I roast pilsner using this same technique? Or should I just stick with 2-row?

My goal is to add color; I will be brewing a Altbier that it Pilsner and Munich based.
Both are very light in color and I don't have any speciality malts other than light crystal.
I can also roast the Munich?

Back