Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for a good brown ale recipe that has a hoppy taste.

Thanks in advance.

English brown ale? or a German maibock perhaps?

What style are you going for? Malty? not so malty? British hops ? American? both? high carbonation or low....

I am looking for a good brown ale recipe that has a hoppy taste.

Thanks in advance.

Brown ales and IBUs aren't TYPCALLY found together, but I haven't been accused of being typical very often. I like the combination also. Calzione's book has a recipe for an Indian Brown Ale. (not sure it is legal to repost it here though) I bet (hint hint) it shows up somewhere in this forum.

Yes it is a nice beer - not hugely hoppy. I toned the roastyness down using Chocolate wheat and Englishy hops (same IBUs) and it was very good after it aged a month or so.

That being said I love a bold hoppy lighter colored beer but not so much in a dark one. Horses to courses right?!

I made a hoppy version of Moose Drool. I kept the beer's grain percentages but boosted the OG to 1.065, and then hopped it like this:

14g Centennial/Amarillo pellet blend (8.1%) - 60min
56g Centennial pellets (8.7%) - 10min
56g Amarillo pellets (7.5%) - 0min
28g Centennial/Amarillo blend - dry hop

It was amazingly hoppy. Still maintained the essence of the brown ale rather than coming off as a black IPA. You could easily make Moose Drool as an extract batch.

Yes it is a nice beer - not hugely hoppy. I toned the roastyness down using Chocolate wheat and Englishy hops (same IBUs) and it was very good after it aged a month or so.

That being said I love a bold hoppy lighter colored beer but not so much in a dark one. Horses to courses right?!

Wow...you didn't think Janet's Brown was hoppy? I thought it was almost too hoppy, at least the one time I made it and for the style anyway.

I really liked it thought and thought I might re-brew and tone the hops down a bit. It has a mash-hop that I've never used before. Brewsmith (the trial version...I didn't like it enough to buy) said the IBU from the mash hop would be really low...wrong.

Are you brewing extract or AG? Full boil?

Sounds like you're looking for a Texas Brown. I had an American Brown score a 45 and a gold medal in American Browns in a regional competition the weekend before last. It's simple and mighty tasty. However, it's not very hoppy. But considering how good it is on its own, you could just increase the hop amounts. Use BeerSmith to figure out what you need to get where you're going on IBUs. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/swamp-nut-brown-ale-212058/

Wow...you didn't think Janet's Brown was hoppy? I thought it was almost too hoppy, at least the one time I made it and for the style anyway.

I really liked it thought and thought I might re-brew and tone the hops down a bit. It has a mash-hop that I've never used before. Brewsmith (the trial version...I didn't like it enough to buy) said the IBU from the mash hop would be really low...wrong.

Are you brewing extract or AG? Full boil?

AG, and I did not do the mash hop addition, just adjusted the IBUs for the 60 minute addition. Nope did not seem too hoppy, more bitter than a typical brown for sure but not at all over the top. I ended up somewhere around 57 IBUs (Tinseth) for a 1.066 OG beer so a bit less than the recipe.

Now the DFH India Brown ale I don't like at all, though I know lots who love it. I'm not sure if I don;t like it because it is too hoppy or too sweet or too chocolately but it hits my palate wrong somehow.

Back