bronze elbow for blow off tube??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David20Hersch

Reaction score
found the perfect piece for a elbow only that its bronze.

was wondering if this would impart any off flavors ?
after reading metallurgy on "howtobrew" i am worried that the condensation and blowoff will return into the beer and somehow add metallic flavors from oxidation blah blah blah.

should i find a plastic elbow??!!1

thanks for the input!

image-2.jpg

I don't see a problem with the metal as long as you can make a solid connection. A simpler approach is to take just the main body of a 3 piece air lock and jam a tube on the other end.

I just shove the plastic tubing directly into the rubber grommet. The tubing is cut at a 45 degree angle to make the insertion easier. Look at you people with your fancy connectors!

You might want to make sure your fitting is lead free. I undersrand some metals have to be "pickled" before using them in brewing.

It'll be fine.

I would be more worried about the ID of the fitting than the material it's made of. Lotsa hops and no straining? You'd be asking for trouble.

You might want to make sure your fitting is lead free. I undersrand some metals have to be "pickled" before using them in brewing.

That's an urban myth that needs to be dispelled. The amount of lead in a modern brass fitting is nil to none. Certainly not enough to worry about lead poisoning in a fitting that is approved for potable water in any place but California.

It'll be fine.

I would be more worried about the ID of the fitting than the material it's made of. Lotsa hops and no straining? You'd be asking for trouble.

haha don't really understand, whats the ID of a fitting?

yea i usually do strain my wort

haha don't really understand, whats the ID of a fitting?

All pipes and fittings have 2 diameters.
ID - inside diameter - the size of the inner opening.
OF - outside diameter.

If the ID is too small and fermentation too vigorous, the ID could get blocked and then you would have a big mess.

Back