Broken PicoBrew Z - Need help with finding parts or part numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneb_2007

Reaction score
My brand new PicoBrew Z arrived from the States broken. The kind people at PicoBrew informed me that they would not cover shipping (I am serving in Azerbaijan) and that since I popped the lid to see why it was leaking water, they voided my warranty. They also elected not to help me with parts or information on parts to replace a water pump and fitting. Their only solution was that I need to send it back to them to fix. No small task (over 800 dollars round trip shipping and roughly 3 months turn around time for shipping from/to Baku, which is located quite literally on the other side of the world from Pico Hqs). I don’t want this to turn into PicoBrew customer service bashing, not helping out those serving etc etc - I just want to get my machine working!

Anyway, I found the water pump (easy to get here since its made in nearby China), but the part circled below is giving me some challenges to find. As you can see, it broke in the threads and cant be fixed. I was hoping someone may be able to help me find where this part is sold (or at least a part number and manufacturer) so I can order one:

upload_2020-2-11_6-6-11-jpeg.666054

upload_2020-2-11_6-4-21-jpeg.666053

upload_2020-2-11_6-2-43-jpeg.666052

Thanks for any help you guys can give finding this part!

The kind people at PicoBrew informed me ... and that since I popped the lid to see why it was leaking water, they voided my warranty. They also elected not to help me with parts or information on parts to replace a water pump and fitting.
Wow!

But sadly, not surprising.
It may well be a $5 part rendering a $3000 machine useless. Is it a priming chamber perhaps? What's inside it?

I hope some people here can assist you in fixing this unit.
If that's all that's wrong, can't be too hard. I wonder if it can be "glued" back together and "JB welded."

Wow!

But sadly, not surprising.
It may well be a $5 part rendering a $3000 machine useless. Is it a priming chamber perhaps? What's inside it?

I hope some people here can assist you in fixing this unit.
If that's all that's wrong, can't be too hard. I wonder if it can be "glued" back together and "JB welded."

Thanks for the response! It does look to be the priming chamber, but I am not sure of the nomenclature. I did manage to JB weld it together just to run some water through a rinse cycle, but the pump was not functioning so I can’t tell if it would hold up to a brew. But yes, essentially, a 5$ part and a $23 pump are holding up a very expensive machine!

but the pump was not functioning
Can you test the pump by itself? You may need to reverse engineer a few things, such as snipping wires, connecting to a suitable power supply, or isolating the existing one. Maybe there's a sensor somewhere?
What's there to lose? It sounds like the manufacturer has cut you loose already.

We may "understand" they don't want to pay for freight back and forth, heck, even trying to void your warranty because you opened the case. Just so you know, there are more than a few court cases where those scare antics have been found illegitimate and were reversed.

There is absolutely no excuse for their rude behavior and not even trying to help you out, providing those few spare parts, free of charge, free of shipping, with instructions how to replace them as well as resetting some firmware that may have been tripped. You being either half a world away or merely half a block away should not make a difference in standing behind their products.

Meaningful warranties and customer service have too often become a wasteland of modern day society. I hope you're handy.

The broken part looks like an inline filter to me, maybe being used without a screen as a wide spot in the line. You might find a suitable replacement searching with that as a target. If the plastic is the same as used for the quick disconnects, there may be info out there on welding it or fusing it with a suitable solvent.

Completely unacceptable that they won't just ship you the part but par for the course with them and why the faster they go out of business the better for home brewers in the long run.

One of the sale points in the old bait switch on the Z was that it was supposed to be highly user serviceable. I see they lied about that as well.

Not that I'm blaming you for wanting to use a fairly complicated and possibly fickle automated brewing machine, halfway around the world, probably as far from support and spare parts as possible. But if I were you, and thirsty for homebrew, I'd stick to tried and true methods that have proven the test of time: A kettle, an adequate heat source, and buckets. Anything beyond that is pure luxury. Things such as chilling water, ice, fermentation temp control, etc.

Although I'm far from being a cowboy I'm sticking to "cowboy coffee" myself. I simply like it. Ground coffee and hot water in a mug. Something to stir it with. Don't drink the bottom.

Regardless, it's no excuse for the company to handle it this way. Shame on them!

The broken part sure looks like the big brother of the inline filter used on the Pico S/Pro, with the screen pulled out. I'd look for a match by image searching. If it's the same plastic as the keg disconnects, it may be possible to weld or fuse the broken part.

Good luck OP. I took a dump in my hand and flung it at Kevin and referenced this. Not sure if it helped but he has earned it by not helping you.

Here is a thought that may get you back in the hunt.
Why not glue it back together and have some one PRINT one for you with a 3D printer?
Whats the worst that can happen?

Just a thought.

Pete

Your image links are broke....
The images in the first post? I see them clearly.

They're not linked to an external site, they're hosted here on HBT and therefore should be visible all the time. Maybe delete/refresh your browser cache?

Please let us know if that resolved the problem or if it persists, then we can look into it.

The images in the first post? I see them clearly.

They're not linked to an external site, they're hosted here on HBT and therefore should be visible all the time. Maybe delete/refresh your browser cache?

Please let us know if that resolved the problem or if it persists, then we can look into it.

This is all I see:

upload_2020-3-2_9-0-8.png

What method are you using to post on the site and view it? Are you on an App, or laptop and if so what Win version and browser. I can see the images in the top post very well also. On my android phone using mobile Chrome I see the photos, and the HBT app on android I see the first images.

So, please specify what equipment and software you are using.

I am a developer. The images are broken for me on Chrome/Firefox on Mac OSX. The broken image links to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/attachments/upload_2020-2-11_6-6-11-jpeg.666054/ This results in a page for me that says "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Edit: Here's developer console showing 403 error which means it is being denied server side:
Perhaps it works for you two because you are privileged users? Try opening this thread in a private window, you will likely see the same thing we do.

Last edited:
Back