BRIX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I checked the brix level just now 8 and did a hydro measurement 1030 around 5% Added a fresh pack of S05. Assuming I killed the other yeast pitching too high. Nearly 6pm gonna see how long this packet takes to get kickin.

So Jamesfromdogriver you put a pound of grain plus a cup of Pilsen lme in a gallon of water and only had an OG of approx. 1.040?
You do crush the grain well and later remove it from the wort before boil right?
Btw, the yeast mfg give you a suggested fermentation range on the packets. As others have said get some kveik, Voss strain would be good and fermenter temps won't be so critical.

I am wondering if this stuff is junk aint no sign of any fermentation today 3 days into it. 1st time using a 2 gallon plastic bucket. I have a nice wort and no action, even added some bread yeast to it yesterday.

Can you answer Saunassa's questions? Did you grind/crush/mill the grain? Did you remove it from the wort before boil?

You should really read some instructions or have someone help. The recommended book, "How to Brew" is a terrific starting point.

I've been following this one from the beginning, what happened that caused you to dump? Whats the lesson?

I figured it was a bad batch. It never did act right. Someone suggested the seal on the bucket wasnt tight so I moved it to a glass jug, Still nothing. i am going into the 6th day 4 yeasts later and nothing. Not even a sign, shaking and hoping ...nothing. At somr point you say you done monkeyed with it infected it messed around with it over dosed it. Just had to say bye bye to the demon batch and try again . ordered a wide mouth glass carboy. i was only doing 1 gallon. Sad.

Just to be clear, none of the following things would have prevented fermentation:
- pitching at 95F
- plastic, glass, or any type of material fermenter
- bacterial or wild yeast infection
- too much yeast

Consider reading "How to Brew," even if it's the somewhat dated online version at
www.howtobrew.com. Or better yet, the latest edition is fairly cheap on Amazon.

Last edited:
I am no troll. I can make some excellent wine. My beer skills is lacking tho, I will admit that. I was told you could make a gallon of beer with grain water hops and yeast and this is what I tried to do. I even added a bit of liquid malt extract to it. It looked and smelled nice and it tasted great. But it would not ferment. It wouldn't even try, the beginning OG was 1.040. I wanted it to be a nice 5%ish. I even placed the hops into a metal ball so they could be removed after the boil which was 90 mins. The mash was also 90 mins.

Nawsir it was saf05 its spose be purty good I got 5 packs of it off ebay for $10 free shipping.
1625275045107.png

Back