Briess Victory in Bohemian Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bit of a bready taste in my next single infusion attempt at a Bohemian Pilsner. Would 5% Victory bring this flavor to 95% Pilsner malt? As a side bonus, it seems that this combination would come in at a Lovibond color reminiscent of Pilsner Urquell.

NO.

Victory malt has a lot of toasty attributes that make it well suited for malty American and English beers, but it’s totally out of spec for Bavarian or Bohemian lagers. Pilsner Urquell achieves its color through a triple decoction mash and kettle caramelization. If you’re planning on substituting specialty malt to emulate that effect, I would suggest using Weyermann melanoidin malt, and limit usage to 1-2% maximum.

As a side note I really don’t think Pils needs anything beyond Pilsner malt and a little acid malt for mash pH correction.

Thanks! I should have clarified that I'm not trying to meet specs for a competition, but rather I'm merely trying to please my taste buds. Also, in years past I step mashed, but now I prefer to do a simple no sparge single infusion. Decoction is out of my league. I don't have suitable equipment for it. I'm mashing in a 52 Qt. Coleman Xtreme cooler with a bag.

I'm trying to achieve a noticeable breadiness. The nearest commercial example to this breadiness is found in Wernesgrüner Pils. I'd like to achieve this breadiness while mashing a bit higher in temperature, using very low mineralization water, and fermenting with White Labs 800 or 802 yeast to get more of a Bohemian style than a German Pils.

Last edited:
I did precisely that a while back cause it was the only ingredients I had on hand and I had a good day to brew. 95% pilsner and 5%ish of victory.

I don't know what you should call it but I remember it was really good.

Take it for what it's worth though, I'm a fan of victory. To me, a little adds just that breadiness that I often seek.

I did precisely that a while back cause it was the only ingredients I had on hand and I had a good day to brew. 95% pilsner and 5%ish of victory.

I don't know what you should call it but I remember it was really good.

Take it for what it's worth though, I'm a fan of victory. To me, a little adds just that breadiness that I often seek.

That's like music to my eyes/ears. Just what I was hoping for.

Let me know what you think of it. I was just looking at my notes for it and thinking I need to brew it again.

My tasting notes point out that it was mostly bready with a little toast flavor. I was just a bit under 5% victory. I did the same thing you said, low mineralization, but I did a mash of 30m at 62C and 60m at 72C which is my standard mash for stuff like this, but I bet a single infusion would be fine. I used 802.

I served it at a party and apparently, we kicked 10 gals of it so it must be decent.

I live in Northern Mexico/Bud light land so that's saying something....

Let me know what you think of it. I was just looking at my notes for it and thinking I need to brew it again.

My tasting notes point out that it was mostly bready with a little toast flavor. I was just a bit under 5% victory. I did the same thing you said, low mineralization, but I did a mash of 30m at 62C and 60m at 72C which is my standard mash for stuff like this, but I bet a single infusion would be fine. I used 802.

I served it at a party and apparently, we kicked 10 gals of it so it must be decent.

I live in Northern Mexico/Bud light land so that's saying something....

What are your hop notes for this brew?

Back