Bridging Two Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesKY

Reaction score
I'm working on a project that includes a kegerator that will be difficult to gain access to. I'm using the Danby DAR440BL which will hold two 5 gallon cornies but in order to minimize the number of times I need to get inside to change out the kegs, I'd like to bridge them together to effectively make one 10 gallon dispensing keg.

My thought is that I could run the CO2 into the gas post of keg 1 then run a line from the liquid post of keg 1 into the gas post of keg 2. Then run another line from the liquid post of keg 2 to the tap. If necessary, I could purchase an additional liquid post and dip tube for keg 2 so that I don't have any liquid going through a gas post.

Has anyone tried this before or can you think of any problems with this idea? I'll post information about the project I'm working on when it's completed around March as I think you guys will get a kick out of it.

sounds like it would work to me, but I'd go with replacing keg 2's (where beer comes out of to the tap) Gas post with another liquid dip tub. That way you won't have beer splashing from keg 1 into keg two.
Only concern would be the extra gas needed to keep keg1 full after it is empty while dispensing keg2.

Or would it be possible to make it so you have a Y going from your gas and two your tap with check valves but make them accessible? then turn the gas on and select beer out line for each each keg and switch when one is empty? Don't know the setup or we would offer more options.

I figure the extra dip tube wouldn't be hard to acquire and put on so I think that's what I'm going to do to avoid the splash like you said. Keg 1 should fill with gas as the beer is being pushed into keg two to maintain equilibrium across the system but your comment made me think of something else.

Adding a second keg to the system is going to increase the amount of resistance along the line quite a bit and I don't know how that would affect the dispensing of the beer. I wonder if I'm going to have to keep the pressure quite high in order to get the beer flowing smoothly.

*Edit*
I might be able to rig up a switching system but I thought this would be an easier alternative. If not, then I may look into that.

I don't think you'd see any change in resistance. You're always pulling beer from the same keg. the line resistance isn't going to come into affect until it leaves the dispensing keg. These are my thoughts. Not necessarily facts.
Could be interesting though to see if it will cause foaming of the beer leaving keg 1 going into keg 2, I doubt it though because it's flowing under the current blanket of beer. hmmm interesting. maybe worth a test run first fill two kegs with water, carb them up for a few days, then run her open till the first keg drain. just leave the valve open. She if you can tell when the 1st keg empties visually or by sound of gas burping or anything.

Haha it's not that kind of setup Bobby. Trust me, it's much much better. Eventually I'll get around to building a traditional Keezer with multiple taps for multiple kegs, but this project is all about getting as much beer from a confined, difficult to get to space as possible. It will all make sense in due time.

This would work just fine, I've done pressure transfers between kegs before in a similar fashion. I also don't think you are going to waste any Co2 as long as you always fill both at the same time and dispense all the beer before refilling.

I don't know if a long dip tube is necessary for keg#2. If the gas tube is submerged in keg #2, there shouldn't be much splashing.

One disadvantage of a long tube in #2 is that you'll probably never pull a clear beer. That long tube in keg #2 will constantly be stirring up yeast sediment at the bottom. Even when keg #1 is empty, CO2 will be flowing from the long tube to the bottom of the keg and stirring stuff up...and maybe (just maybe) because you are constantly bubbling CO2 into the beer from the bottom, you could end up with too much carbonation.

Maybe consider cutting a long dip tube down to 4 or 5 inches.

You could just put a stainless T in the beer line and push both kegs at the same time to the faucet. You could even blend two different beers this way if you ever wanted to.

There's the knowledge I was looking for. It wouldn't cause foaming since it's not 02? Good to know.

That T sounds like a good idea Ed, But happens if one Keg drains faster (not as full). Anything?

It wouldn't be a problem to cause a little foaming on the top surface of keg #2 because the beer is drawn off the bottom. If you ran the beer though a Tee, the first keg to start pulling CO2 into the dip tube would make the whole thing pour foam even if the other keg had a quart left.

Back