Brewtroller Walkthrough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmunos

Reaction score
I have been searching the web for a while. I am looking for a basic walkthrough on how to create an automated electric system with brewtroller. I have little to no experience with electronics so Im looking for "Brewtroller for dummies."

Does anyone know of a thread or article like this?

I think we just need to get some more Brewtroller controlled build threads going here as well. The forums on the BrewTroller website are less than active. I was building the hardware side of my system and waiting on controls but I now have an enclosure and a OpenTroller DX1 so I need to start figuring out the control side of the system fast.

You can usually get a decent response in their IRC channel, or dealing with them directly. Their forums are pretty dead.

I've also got a DX1 build underway, if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help. I havent put togther much of a howto/diagram yet tho.

My Build thread is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/single-tier-eherms-triclamp-mostly-build-372976/

I'm going to try and get a wiring diagram up soon.

Have you looked here?
https://www.oscsys.com/projects/brewtroller/system-design (I know its not very detailed)

You can usually get a decent response in their IRC channel, or dealing with them directly. Their forums are pretty dead.

I've also got a DX1 build underway, if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help. I havent put togther much of a howto/diagram yet tho.

My Build thread is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/single-tier-eherms-triclamp-mostly-build-372976/

I'm going to try and get a wiring diagram up soon.

Have you looked here?
https://www.oscsys.com/projects/brewtroller/system-design (I know its not very detailed)

I would love to see the diagram!

Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone. The walkthroughs available from brewtroller are not detailed enough for me to begin :( but hopefully we will have some success

Psbuckland

I am wondering do you use the fly sparge logic? If so how does it work? Also with the pressure sensors it looks like you just plumbed them into the bottom of the kettle. Does that work well to you?

I do use it and it works well. You must switch sparge pump control in the config library. I have the the sensors plumbed using 1/8 stainless tubing from the top. I can put some better pics on the photo stream for you. I have outflow plumbed from the bottom.

I do use it and it works well. You must switch sparge pump control in the config library. I have the the sensors plumbed using 1/8 stainless tubing from the top. I can put some better pics on the photo stream for you. I have outflow plumbed from the bottom.

Yours is bottom plumbed? do you find its an issue for cleaning? Does anything get up in there or does the bubbling clear it out? I'm just deciding how I'm going to mount mine.

It would be helpful for the thread if more of the discussion was in the forum and not in PM's if possible :)

Thanks!

Ill put a link to the document on the thread:). Allanmar...the pressure sensors are not plumbed from the bottom. I did the standard install with tubing thru the sidewall, down the side and to the bottom.

I am using the bubbler. I don't have a final plumbing diagram. I am still finding better ways to do things. Also my final setup will include about 11 valves and until the BT code is finalized I am capped at 10.

@psbuckland Your build is really cool! :mug:

I have a query. It looks like you have a 3 pole contactor on the power input to your panel, and are switching both hots and the neutral. Isn't it usual to have an unobstructed return path, i.e. not to switch neutral?

Alien

You know I never thought about it really. My bud,who looked at my diagram never keyed into that. I should really have the neutral from the main I put going straight to a distro block.

Thanks!

S-

:)

BTW I totally agree we need more BrewTroller threads. The BT forum is dire, which is a shame because I would like to know more.

I may have to put up what I have so far...but this BT for dummies is a lot work! It is a shame...because it is such a capable system. I still refer to it as my Brew Day Manager.

Oh yeah.my panel is a Saginaw consolette. I got it from automation direct. I also use a small one for my fermentation. That have a lot of space.

My BT build....getting there.

Having some problems with the network functionality at the moment.

IMG_0978.jpg

My BT build....getting there.

Having some problems with the network functionality at the moment.

I haven't found live.brewtroller.com to be all that stable or useful so far...it seems to drop the updates after a couple minutes, and sometimes ties up the brewtroller. Not sure if the iOS app works better since I don't own iDevices

To be honest I'm finding the BT to be pretty unreliable period at the moment. I'm going to have to get the e-stop module that will trip the outputs if the BT locks up.

I think it has to do with the RGBIO8 setup at this time, I have to look in to it more. Waiting to hear back from the BT guys.

I used 1/8", but it is kind of fragile. Other have used 1/4" with a thicker wall with good results. I would go with 1/4 if I did it over again.

Latest posts

Back