Brews for the new year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide what to brew after the 1st of the year. Christmas and New Year's will be past, and it will be a bit early for Spring brews. All I can come up with is an Irish Red for St. Patty's Day. Any ideas?

I would vote for beer. Although beer would be great for early spring and if you plan it right, you can get a beer going for the summer. Beer works for later in the winter too. However, in the case of a late winter I would say a beer would be fitting. If spring hits early, you can always make beer. So, yeah...beer.

I would vote for beer. Although beer would be great for early spring and if you plan it right, you can get a beer going for the summer. Beer works for later in the winter too. However, in the case of a late winter I would say a beer would be fitting. If spring hits early, you can always make beer. So, yeah...beer.

I agree...beer is always the best choice. The family and I recently moved so in the old house now would be the season to brew lagers...a simple Helles, Pilsner or even a getting a little weird with a nice rice lager might be something intere for you to brew.

Good luck!

Funny. So far, not counting coffee, I have only brewed beer. Thanks for the idea though.

You know, I do have two styles in mind: Weizenbock and Mole Stout. This time off year seems to make me want something a little a little stronger in abv and flavor.
I agree...beer is always the best choice. The family and I recently moved so in the old house now would be the season to brew lagers...a simple Helles, Pilsner or even a getting a little weird with a nice rice lager might be something intere for you to brew.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Simpler and lighter does sound good, but I don't think I'm quite ready to brew one of those yet. I don't want to miss the chance brew some stronger flavored beers to enjoy in the winter months. A shoulder injury kept me from brewing my usual winter warmer, and a couple other winter brews.

I’m going for a winter spiced ale right after the new year. I brewed exactly 4bbls of beer in 2019 on my 5 gallon system so I figured that was a good place to stop

I have never bought into the idea that certain beer styles are only for certain seasons. Make and drink what you like whenever you want.
I'm sorta the same way. But sometimes I just feel like drinking something different. These cold months make me want something a little stronger, to warm my gullet and my soul. When the weather is hot, I just don't feel like drinking those strong or heavy beers.

Back