Brewpubs That Suck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revvy said:
Yeah, there's a few sub-par brewpubs in Metro Detroit. But it balances out by the great ones, like Dragonmead.

The only one I got to in Detroit while I was there was Motor City Brewing Works. I thought it was pretty good. I loved their cheese/bread plate selectionand and there beer wasn't half bad. But the clientele was beyond annoying. There were some hipsters that I assume were Wayne State students incessantly banging their spoons on the table like they thought they were God's gift to improvisational jam bands. I realize that drinking establishments aren't going to be places of quiet contemplation but that kind of racket shouldn't be allowed anywhere.

I'll have to check out Dragonmeade the next time I'm up in da hood.

I will gladly choose to live in a world where mediocre and bad brew pubs exist as long as I have the opportunity to experience the wonder of discovering those that are gems with great beer and a great atmosphere. Most of you must be too young to remember a world without micro/craft brews and brew pubs. Relish the choices available to you.

This. Also I'm spoiled, living in Boulder CO. I have yet to experience a bad brewpub here, even statewide. Of course, having the Brewer's Association and AHA down the street helps. Now, I've certainly had sub-par food at a brewpub, but I can live with that.

The one in Santa Rosa was Russian River which makes awesome beer anyways. I think that was more a complaint about them trying to make money off of people. Which it was confirmed that it was a "business" that was supposed to try to make money. I am about to move to Seattle and am pretty excited for the brewpubs up there. I am currently in Chico where Sierra Nevada definitely takes very special care with serving there stuff properly.

The beer culture is one of the biggest reasons i've stayed up here so long. You're in for a treat.

Are you making a jab at jolly pumpkin?

I wouldn't know, since I've never had their beers. If their beers suck, then yes, I'm talking about them.

I'm a big fan of sour beers, don't get me wrong. I was at a beer bar (also nameless) who had one of the Bear Republic beers on tap (Red Rocket, IIRC). Either the keg or the lines were infected, I'm not sure which, but the restaurant knew about it, and were serving it as a "special, one-off" sour beer.

I also generally think it's a red flag when people call themselves an "artisan." That's what other people will say about you if you make good beer.

This. Also I'm spoiled, living in Boulder CO. I have yet to experience a bad brewpub here, even statewide. Of course, having the Brewer's Association and AHA down the street helps. Now, I've certainly had sub-par food at a brewpub, but I can live with that.

I agree. I'm down in the Denver Tech Center, and there are plenty of great brewpubs around the whole Denver-Boulder metro area. Don't let yourself be fooled though, we have our share of sub-par places, they're just a MUCH smaller percentage than in most cities.

There's a small chain here in DFW (Humperdinks) that has a few decent beers but most are mediocre at best. Some of the beers used to be very good but quality has gone downhill. Last time I went all the beers were ordered came out flat. We would tell the waitress and ask for a different beer. Same thing. After 2-3 attempts she said another table said the same thing before (so why keep bringing them?). I told her there was a problem with the CO2 and they probably needed to adjust the regulator. She told me the kegs all come carbonated so it was probably the main brewery's fault. So nobody fixed the problem and we left. Haven't been back since.

Have you been to B.J.s off of I-35 and Heritage Trace Parkway? It's basically in Keller.
I haven't had the house beers yet, but they have a pretty amazing selection of craft and import beers.

I havent been to one brew pub that has served bad beer and Ive been to a lot of them. Some arent exactly a beer I personally enjoyed but none were bad.
I think maybe because it costs so much to get started and run a brew pub here in Aust with all the local council ********, governement red tape and then excise tax on top, that they need to make sure their product is a premium to keep people coming back.

Most people suck at their jobs. That's a fact no matter what industry it is. Most restaurants suck. Most brewpubs suck. Most people don't really care if their beer is bad, so the sucky brewpub can usually stay in business.

I agree that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, but for some brewpubs they just see the high margin on house-made beer. Never-mind the additional capital expenses and labor.

+1
When my wife and I try a new restaurant or brew pub we usually go in with low expectations with an off chance that we will be surprised with good service/food/beer.

I have yet to encounter a lousy brewpub here in Vermont. A couple of the bigger brewers.. like Long Trail and Harpoon have pubs right on premises, so you can tour the facility, have a brew and lunch.

Madison's, in Bennington, has been about 50/50 for me - both food and beer.

mcarb said:
There is a brewery in downtown Oakland. My God it could be so great. It is old as hell and really beautiful. It is in a great location and very convenient.

I don't think they have ever cleaned their lines. They have Pliny on tap (the only place near my work). I've ordered it twice (months apart) and both times it tasted absolutely horrible.

I refuse to go back.

What one is that? I have been to beer revolution which is awesome and pacific coast brewing which is meh.

UnDeadPresident said:
I agree. I'm down in the Denver Tech Center, and there are plenty of great brewpubs around the whole Denver-Boulder metro area. Don't let yourself be fooled though, we have our share of sub-par places, they're just a MUCH smaller percentage than in most cities.

I was in englewood,co last week and went to lone tree brewing. They had decent beers but nothing good. Their kolsch was full of esters and their hefeweizen was fermented too hot. Their stouts had no body. It was sad because they could be good with a few tweaks.

Everyone else got their IPA which they seemed to like.

Man....after reading all this I feel so lucky to have a place near me that is outstanding. It's called Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny in eastern PA. It's not a brew pub per se as they don't brew anything there, but an average of 400 different beers available, the bartenders are all knowledgeable(all have been there 8yrs+)and know what to recommend given your preference, they serve them in the right glass at the right temp, and will even tell you when one of the regular craft beers on tap doesn't seem up to snuff( it happens from time to time).I think a big part of this is that the owners really enjoy beer, and will have tastings with the staff and discuss what everyone thinks of a new beer. If your ever in the area, give em a try.

jfrizzell said:
Don't you hate it when you go to a brewpub and order a beer only to get a beer that just isn't that good?

I went to a place over the weekend and ordered their IPA. I had to send it back it was so bad. The beer either had an infection or their lines needed cleaned badly.

The second beer was just ok. Both mine and my wife's beer were fairly flat and had no head whatsoever. They obviously don't know how to balance their system.

It was just sad. If you're going to run a brewpub, at least bother to know what the hell you're doing.

Not all brewpubs are run by homebrewers "living the dream", but some schmuck with money that thinks it could be a good investment, and doesnt know the difference between lager and ale. and hires careless workers to make their product.

Lot of "average-ness" around here,and some above avereage-ness- ocasionally greatness once in a while.Kinda reminds me of my beer.:confused:

Not all brewpubs are run by homebrewers "living the dream", but some schmuck with money that thinks it could be a good investment, and doesnt know the difference between lager and ale. and hires careless workers to make their product.

LOL....love the signature!

eanmcnulty said:
Stockholm's in Geneva, IL, has an ambitious food menu that they don't always pull off very well, and their beers all have the same sour taste, no matter whether you're drinking a pale, a stout, or wheat. I went three times, and all three times I disliked the beer. It has been a good three years since I went there.

I like the place. I have been there, and they'd be better off without the house brew and maybe specializing in local micros. The food is very good in all my experiences and a nice atmosphere. I consider it a restaurant that happens to have some homemade beer, not a real brewpub.

illini0250 said:
I like the place. I have been there, and they'd be better off without the house brew and maybe specializing in local micros. The food is very good in all my experiences and a nice atmosphere. I consider it a restaurant that happens to have some homemade beer, not a real brewpub.

I agree about the environment. I really like the room. When I said the menu was ambitious I meant that I wasn't sure they could always pull it off and still have fresh ingredients. Some of the dishes were excellent and some seemed half-assed.
I didn't care for the beer at all.
Also, I want point out that I haven't been there in over three years. Things may have changed. I really WANT to like it. The room is very nice.

Have you been to B.J.s off of I-35 and Heritage Trace Parkway? It's basically in Keller.
I haven't had the house beers yet, but they have a pretty amazing selection of craft and import beers.

BJ's and Humperdinks are both pretty meh, at least in my experience. If I'm going to a brewpub, I'm going to try the house beers. If I'm going to order a bunch of someone else's beers, I'll just go to the Flying Saucer. Saucer on the Lake is pretty rocking, and I avoid the Addison spot because of the crowd in that town. Its too bad the Ft Worth spot is so far away, I love the rooftop bar.

We only have one "brew pub" here - they're ok, good, not great. Middle Ages, Ommegang and Saranac pretty much rule the taps elsewhere.

The single biggest thing a pub (and this isn't limited to brew pubs) can do to improve is to clean their damn lines on a regular basis. I travel quite a bit and have to stop in different places. I have some favorites and I have some "never agains" and the quickest way for a place to get on the never again list is to sell me a $5-7 draft through an infected line. A distant #2 is flat beer. Beer flavor and character is #3. Not cleaning lines and flat beer is a sign of laziness and not caring about the product that they serve. Flavor and character can improve if it's a brew pub and they're new.

There is a restaurant close to my office that was renovated by a TV show last spring. They pared the food menu down & cleaned up the place. We went there to check it out and grab some drinks after work and the lines were filthy. Never again.

I personally don't like Triumph in Philly all their beers taste like they took a glass of water and added two shots of beer in it.

Lucky me--Victory Brewing here in Downingtown-my "go to" place, Sly Fox is pretty close-their bock fest/goat races is a fun time, Iron Hill, Manyunk, Stoudts, Troegs all within an hour drive.
My favorite is in the basement, three beers always on tap, and I get along pretty well with the owner/bremaster.:mug:

I don't feel that any of the brew pubs by me are particularly bad, but I wish that they all didn't insist on trying to be some sort of froo froo foodie dining experience. They'll have stuff like fish and chips where the fish is salmon. Or the burgers are made out of unicorn and magic beans served with a side of kale.
I just want good. That's why I'm there. They seem to try too hard.

They'll have stuff like fish and chips where the fish is salmon. Or the burgers are made out of unicorn and magic beans served with a side of kale.

I HATE when pubs use salmon for fish and chips. Salmon is fatty. It doesn't need to be fried. Cod/whitefish/whatever is lean, it needs to be fried.

It's kind of funny how poor-guy food is fancy now. Kale is really hardy, so poor guys could grow it easily. It's basically the European version of collard greens. Hardly "haute cuisine."

When I'm in a pub I want good beer and good pub grub like burger & fries or fish n chips, that sort of stuff. Not restaurant food, if I wanted that i'd GO TO A RESTAURANT. :)

I have only one brewpub within 20miles and they do a good job. Their one potential weak spot is their fruit beers, strawberry and blueberry blondes. To his credit the brewer only uses fresh fruit but it makes the beer really unstable and one time you'll get fruit flavors and the next it'll be cloudy and have diacetyl. Fortunately the wife is the only one who insists on experiencing this. Otherwise they have an awesome pale ale and excellent stout, plus a half dozen other styles that are generally solid.

Their food is good too, full rack of babyback ribs and two sides for $13 on Saturdays. Thursday nights the Irish folk band plays. You can even get their pale ale at the local minor league ballpark, that is a treat to drink good beer while sitting in the bleachers watching a game.

I really like this place, they've been around for a long time.

I'm about 15 minutes from R.J. Rockers in Spartanburg and their stuff is pretty stinking good, especially when fresh. Not a brewpub per-say but they used to run a restaurant next to the brewery. They closed it and another local restaurant moved in and it's awesome. Have some kick ass burgers for like, 9 bucks, and pints are like 3-4 dollar range. They do have some foofoo stuff on the menu, but I don't get any of it really. Haven't had a bad experience when I'm there though. If any of you are in the area, I highly suggest you try it.

A pet peeve of mine is the frosted glass...even slightly chilled drives me nuts. I always ask for a non-frozen glass or mug. I also hate when you get a bottle and they don't bring out a glass.

A lot of places here in the south don't even have beer lists. What the hell is with that?!? And when I ask what they have (at several places down here) the waitress will say 9 times out of 10, "OH, the usual stuff!" and walk away. It also kills me when I have to ask what they have that isn't light beer, and they don't have a clue. /endrant :mad:

A lot of places here in the south don't even have beer lists. What the hell is with that?!? And when I ask what they have (at several places down here) the waitress will say 9 times out of 10, "OH, the usual stuff!" and walk away. It also kills me when I have to ask what they have that isn't light beer, and they don't have a clue. /endrant :mad:

A lot of places in Canada are the same. I get great success by ordering a pint of "whatever's on tap that nobody ever seems to order". It's usually their best (often only) craft beer.

Stateline brewery inside Heavenly Village in South Lake Tahoe fits the bill. A buddy and I went in after a full day of snowboarding on the mountain. Out of 7 or so of their beers they had on the menu only 3 were in active rotation. I ordered their pale ale. Absolutely terrible, it was like drinking colored water. No real malt taste, no hop aroma and barely any hop bitterness.

Next round I ordered a Rogue Dead Guy and was much happier. The food was 80x better than their house beer.

We are pretty lucky here in se Michigan when it come to how many brewpubs there are. There are unfortunately several that are subpar.

The good ones by beer quality alone are:

1. Dragonmead (every beer in the place is top notch even if is a style you don't care for it will be a top notch product)
2. Bastone (if you love Belgian beers this place is killer. Excellent pizza)
3. Malty Dog Brewey (small place lots of solid brews to choose from. Best stout in SE Michigan possibly the state)
4. Cj's brewing company (awesome food solid brews)
5. Kuhnhenn brewing company (their Dripa is one of the best IPA's you will ever find)
6. Arbor Brewing Company.
6. Black Lotus.
7. Royal Oak Brewery (good eats and a few decent brews. they make a wee heavy that is to die for)
8. Witches hat
9. Jolly pumpkin (only if you like sour beer.)

Places to stay away from

1. copper canyon brewery (some type of infection in every glass)
2. Atwater brewing company (just awful)
3. Motor City brewing works
4. Liberty Street (very inconsistent. more infucted brews)

A lot of places in Canada are the same. I get great success by ordering a pint of "whatever's on tap that nobody ever seems to order". It's usually their best (often only) craft beer.

I'm gonna have to try that next time I get a clueless server. That gets under my skin like you wouldn't believe. I don't want to sit there and have you guess for 15 minutes to see what you "might have". I've even had a waitress go check, and come back with a handwritten beer list. Pathetic. Which reminds me, a local pizza joint told me that R.J. Rockers Bell Ringer, which is an 8.0% American Strong Ale, is "Like one of those darker beers...I think?"

Living in San Diego has its advantages. Even the most mediocre brewpubs employ some seriously dedicated brewers. Some are certainly better than others, but they're all looking to work for one of the heavy hitters like Stone or open their own places. Can't say I've ever had a really bad beer even at the BJ's and Rock Bottoms. This is a town that likes its beer, I would imagine people wouldn't put up with a joint making crappy brew.

I'm gonna have to try that next time I get a clueless server. That gets under my skin like you wouldn't believe. I don't want to sit there and have you guess for 15 minutes to see what you "might have". I've even had a waitress go check, and come back with a handwritten beer list. Pathetic. Which reminds me, a local pizza joint told me that R.J. Rockers Bell Ringer, which is an 8.0% American Strong Ale, is "Like one of those darker beers...I think?"

My favorite is when the waitress doesn't even know what's on their food menu. I've been a waiter, and it sucked, and paid horribly, but have a little respect for yourself and expend the smallest amount of effort to learn how to do your job.

We are pretty lucky here in se Michigan when it come to how many brewpubs there are. There are unfortunately several that are subpar.

1. Dragonmead (every beer in the place is top notch even if is a style you don't care for it will be a top notch product)
3. Malty Dog Brewey (small place lots of solid brews to choose from. Best stout in SE Michigan possibly the state)
5. Kuhnhenn brewing company (their Dripa is one of the best IPA's you will ever find)
6. Black Lotus.
7. Royal Oak Brewery (good eats and a few decent brews. they make a wee heavy that is to die for)
8. Witches hat

How does Founders and/or Bells not make this list?

What one is that? I have been to beer revolution which is awesome and pacific coast brewing which is meh.

PCB, it could be so great. Beer revolution is great.

I wouldn't know, since I've never had their beers. If their beers suck, then yes, I'm talking about them.

I'm a big fan of sour beers, don't get me wrong. I was at a beer bar (also nameless) who had one of the Bear Republic beers on tap (Red Rocket, IIRC). Either the keg or the lines were infected, I'm not sure which, but the restaurant knew about it, and were serving it as a "special, one-off" sour beer.

I also generally think it's a red flag when people call themselves an "artisan." That's what other people will say about you if you make good beer.

I highly doubt it, but it could be true. Bear Republic has made some sour ales: http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php

Don't you hate it when you go to a brewpub and order a beer only to get a beer that just isn't that good?

I went to a place over the weekend and ordered their IPA. I had to send it back it was so bad. The beer either had an infection or their lines needed cleaned badly.

The second beer was just ok. Both mine and my wife's beer were fairly flat and had no head whatsoever. They obviously don't know how to balance their system.

It was just sad. If you're going to run a brewpub, at least bother to know what the hell you're doing.

As a fellow Iowan I'm curious what brew pub you went to. Although most in Des Moines are merely average I wouldn't say any were so terrible I had to send a beer back. There is one that does seem to have trouble carbonating to the proper level but some of their stuff can very good nevertheless.

Toga said:

6. Black Lotus.
8. Witches hat

Places to stay away from

1. copper canyon brewery (some type of infection in every glass)
2. Atwater brewing company (just awful)
3. Motor City brewing works
4. Liberty Street (very inconsistent. more infucted brews)

I was never a fan of CJ's. I went there once and ordered a raspberry beer and they poured the pint and added raspberry extract. It was horrible.

In defense of Liberty Street, their ciders (standard apple, cherry, and blueberry) were great, and the reason for going was their Clementine Lemon Thyme wheat. It was delicious.

There's a raspberry lager in my neck of the woods, when ordered they get there lager and have one of those ice cream cone squirt thingy's that supplies the raspberry flavoring. All the beer is just awful. On a lighter note, 30 minutes away is a damn good establishment, that makes some rocking ales.

Back