Brewpot No good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedimann74

Reaction score
So I bought a small 2gal SS pot for doin 1gal batches. I boiled some eggs in it the other day and I noticed these spots on the bottom. Is this okay still to brew in or is this pot shot?

photo_zps56ae99d4.jpg

image_zps4a43a30c.jpeg

Try a little Barkeepers Friend to clean it up. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it myself. You ought to see all the beer-stone that gets built up in my keggle.

Try an acid cleaner if it bothers ya, but other wise you are good. Just don't use liquid dish detergent on your equipment.

I dont even think I cleaned it before I boiled the water in it. I didnt clean it with bleach but I did use a touch of dish soap and rinsed it really good and sanitized it. Just wasnt sure if there was some coating that for some reason wore thru during the boiling. I do have another pot to use so maybe I will use that instead unless you dont think this will funk up my wort

The staining is most likely from the salt if you added any to the water and the calcium leached from the shells. You should be good, just never use dish soap it never rinses completely off and will ruin your brew.

Sounds good, thanks a ton! Is there anything I can do to ensure the soap film is all gone? Boil water in it and empty it out a few times maybe. I dont have access to any brew type cleaner at the moment...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of water will dilute any soap residue to beyond detection. Hell, I cooked a whole ham in my temp contolled brew-pot last year. It took bit to clean that greasy mess but I'm still making great beer in that pot.

Back