BrewPi Chamber Fan Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModestoHagney

Reaction score
I've been searching all over the forums and the internet trying to find out more about how the chamber fan works in a BrewPi.

What I am trying to figure out is what kind of fan you can use, 2, 3 or 4 pin.

Im thinking about using a 5v fan and powering it from the same power source as the pi. So I assume the 3 or 4 pin would work best with the +/- connected to the power supply and the 3rd(and 4th maybe?) connected to the arduino.

So basically can a 2 pin 5V fan be run directly from a pin on the arduino uno?
If not would a 3 or 4 pin unit be better?

Normally PC fans require at least 7V even if the arduino can supply enough power i dont think its good driving the fan directly with it. I would just connect a relay like the cool/heat outputs.

Yes, you can use a 3pin fan, the 3rd pin(yellow wire) is only for fan speed mesurements.

4pin fans have pwm control so probably they would not work..

The reason I suggested 3 or 4 pin fans is I read that one is needed on the BrewPi site.

Our software supports driving a fan to circulate the air in the fridge. This will give you a more even fridge air temperature and faster response time. You can use an AC powered fan and switch it with an SSR or a computer fan. If you choose a computer fan, get one with 4 wires: one of the wires is the PWM input. You can connect the shield actuator output directly to the PWM input and GND.

Now that I read it again it looks like it is a 4 wire that's needed and I assume it needs a power source and the PWM wire connected to the arduino.

I've been running a brewpi for a while now. i didnt use the fan pins or the brewpi but instead i run an old pc case fan 12v off a walwart and leave it running 24/7. works great.

The reason I suggested 3 or 4 pin fans is I read that one is needed on the BrewPi site.

Now that I read it again it looks like it is a 4 wire that's needed and I assume it needs a power source and the PWM wire connected to the arduino.

Thats interesting i did not know that.. so yes 12V power source directly to the Fan and PWM wire to arduino digital pin..

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf

The control signal is a square wave operating at 25 kHz, with the duty cycle determining the fan speed. Typically a fan can be driven between about 30% and 100% of the rated fan speed, using a signal with up to 100% duty cycle. The exact speed behavior (linear, off until a threshold value, or a minimum speed until a threshold) at low control levels is manufacturer dependent.

So judging by that if I wanted to run it from the arduino it would HAVE to be a 4 pin?

Good to know. I shall continue my search through the parts bin.

Back