Brewing with nothing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xier

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I have read this forum quite often over the last few weeks and it has inspired me to brew my first batch of beer! Now, here is the problem:

I live in China.

There are no brew shops that I know of anywhere in this entire country (great business opportunity, I know) and on top of that I can not find a place to buy hops nor even brewers yeast! Luckily, from what my wife has told me, they do have barley here. What I have decided to do is as follows:

1. Harvest a wild strain of yeast locally.
2. Buy barley seed and make my own malt.
3. Find a substitute for hops or wait until spring when I can find it growing outdoors and harvest my own come fall.
4. Sit back proudly and drink that beer which has taken so much effort for me to bring into existence.

As you can see, I am at step one right now. I read through various posts and guides to try and find ways of getting my hands on some acceptable yeast. The common method seemed to be to find fruit, put it into a malt bath and let seep until it seems to have fermented. After that, if all smells and looks well, throw it into your mash and hope for the best. Another thing I had read into was extracting a specific yeast strain from a starter and making your own yeast bank. I decided to combine the two.

What I had planned to do was find some fruit, pitch it into sterile test tubes with growing medium and then, after fermentation, smell test them to find which seemed best. From there, I would use syringes to extract samples from various parts of the substrate and inoculate petri dishes using a streaking method. I would then sterilize my test tubes and syringes. Afterwards I would use the syringes to extract single colonies from the petri plates and once again inoculate the test tubes but this time with something more beer mash-like. Finally, whichever test tube looked and smelled the best would be used as a slant for making the beer when I finally found some hops.

Here is where I am at now.

I made a substrate by boiling some potatoes with sucrose and flour. While that was boiling, I popped my test tubes and rubber stops into the pressure cooker to sterilize. After they were finished, I filtered the broth through a tea pot into the test tubes and once again put them back into the pressure cooker to sterilize:

attachment.php

I bought rubber stops for the test tubes so that I could use a syringe to inoculate them without contamination when it comes time for making slants.

attachment.php

Once the test tubes with substrate were done sterilizing, I quickly popped their rubber stops into them. I hope nothing bad got in there while I was doing this.

attachment.php

It is in the depths of winter at the moment here in China. I was a little worried about being able to find any fruit out and about. When I went to buy the equipment I was looking at the dead vines that cover the city, wondering if any of them would turn out to be hops when summer came. I noticed some shrivelled little fruits hanging from some of them and figured, hey, any yeast that would survive winter on these little guys would probably be able to survive my novice attempts at cultivation.

attachment.php

Finally, when the tubes had cooled, I popped the lids once more and threw in the fruit. I had one remaining tube so I put in the stems.

attachment.php

Now, I guess all that is left is to wait and see what will happen. I am so excited to be making my first brew but really have no idea what I am doing. I have tried to piece it all together and come up with a plan but, hell, the truth is I don't even know where to get the hops when the time comes. Any and all advice, suggestions, criticisms and what ever else are more than welcomed.

Thank you for reading all this. I look forward to getting to know you all better and becoming a better brewer to boot.

You need to convert your starches to sugars. Maybe I missed it, but you had to crush your grain and steep it (mash).

use the search function to find other methods of bittering if you cant get hops.

Review the lambic/wild forum here. They have lots of crazy but effective ways to make *beer*.

Can you just buy some Duvel, chimay, or something that is bottle condition and harvest brewers yeast that way. I was in Shanghai in March and they had a lot of bottled conditioned beers. Also, you could attempt to contact local breweries and see if they would give you some yeast cake.

Can you find pearl barley? I believe there is a way to process it so it can be mashed. Flaked Oats? Candi sugars? Hops or Herbs?

I'm sorry but your question is way beyond my knowledge level in regards to brewing. You certainly came to the correct website for beer brewing information, there are many great brewers and teachers here.

Just a super wild A$$ guess but you're probably not Christopher Hill, US undersecretary of state of East Asian affairs?

:mug:

I saw on YouTube someone took some wort in a sterile jar and rubber banded a reusable coffee filter on top. Then he set it in a plastic box on end with the open side facing the wind. He said he leaves it for no more than three days like this then puts it in the fridge and waits to see the yeast grow. It might be too cold right now where you are I have never tried this but I want too. Good luck and let me know if you want to open a brew shop in china, I’m in.

Wow, I had no idea that this thread was even posted much less had life to it. I apologize for not responding to any of this sooner but let me do so now that I have the chance.

Dynachrome,
Since that time I've found a place in Beijing to get hold of some hops. I have been reading their threads and they have indeed given me many ideas. Personally, I dislike sourness in my beer. Infact, it is one of the reasons I am getting into brewing; I just can not find the perfect beer for me! As for the sugars and such, I seehow uninformed I was origially. Since then I have found a place to buy my raw barley and have been experimenting with the malting process. The malting seems easy enough, I can get the right taste for it atleast. What I just can't seem to get right is roasting barley.

BradleyBrew,
I am well past the point of no return with my yeast harvesting adventure. You will have to check the other thread to get the latest updates but suffice it to say that I'm going wild on this one. I have managed to buy some unprocessed barley from a local vendor and am planning to use some oatmeal in with my mash as well.

Revvy,
Thanks for those links! I will check them all out and see what I can use.

Naptown,
What do you mean? If you are still available get hold of me! I am definately interested.

Dan,
Yeah, this place is pretty great. I have found so much information to use here and it has all come together so well. I am not the person you mentioned, though, why do you ask?

CourtHouseBrewing,
I have already managed to get some wild yeasts going ffist attempt but that method sounds interesting too. Maybe next time I will give it a try! As for the brew house, I would love to if I had the cash on hand. My wife just had to have surgery though so it is going to be a bit tight around here for the next few months. When things pick up I will take you up of your offer!

Also, please refrain from replying in this thread. As Dynachrome mentioned it has moved on to here

Mods, if you could, please close this thread.

Back