Brewing with multiple grain bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using multiple bags for better efficiency for larger grain bills?

The reason I ask is that with my normal cooler set up I generally hit the 85% range with my efficiency. I recently did a few BIAB style brews and my efficiency was comparable but each batch had small grain bills. Recently I brewed my stout which has 12 pounds of grain. I did not think about the fact that it might fill up my entire 5lb paint strainer bag.

My efficiency was 56% on this brew and I am betting that it was because of this over stuffed grain bag and not being able to properly rinse the sugars or have fresh liquor interact with all of the grain. I really like BIAB brewing due to its simplicity and less equipment. My thoughts were that if I split the grain bill into two separate 6lb bags and mashed them at the same time, I might see an improvement in efficiency due to the grain "bed" being looser.

Has anyone tried this technique yet? I am essentially trying to figure out if I should dust off the ole mash tun for anything that requires of 8ish pounds of grain.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I have never tried it before
but with a efficiency of 56%, and the only cost being a second bag, it sure will not hurt you trying.

Quick Q. Do you have a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, or is the 5 lb bag you mention something different? The reason I ask is that the one BIAB I've done I used a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I fit a 14.5 lb grain bill in it with no issue and got about 75% efficiency.

My guess would be it's not the size of the bag causing the efficiency loss.

Its a 5 gallon bag. I am just stupid.

I had the bag crammed full. It was on the verge of ridiculous. Once the grain absorbed the water it was even worse. You could see the mesh physically straining to contain the grain. It could be a difference in brands of bags. These were blue hawk paint bags from Lowes. They could be different dimensions. I am still thinking about doing my plan of multiple bags.

Living in Arizona I guess having a low gravity at out is not a bad thing. Just called it a summer stout.

You can aid efficiency by not packing the bag as tight, but don't forget mixing the grain and water before/during mash and doing a sparge with extra water into the pot or in another pot to extract more sugars as other options too.

Get a custom bag from wilserbrewer. He'll make it to fit your kettle perfectly. It's also finer mesh than paint strainer bags so you'll get less solids from the grain into the wort.

I've thought about using multiple bags in order to make removing the bags and dunking them in bucket for sparging easier. I haven't given it a try yet.

I wrap the top of the bag around the top of the pot so I can pour the grain in and stir. How would you do this with multiple bags or would you set them up like steeping grain bags?

I think I'd have to either tie each bag closed after mashing in and before proceeding to the next bag, or come up with a hop spider like device to hold each bag in place. In either case, this exact concern, and a general contentment with my current 1 bag system, has kept me from pursuing the option further. Perhaps when my current full kettle bag wears out, I'll replace it with several bags of different sizes.

I don't do BIAB, I have a cooler and PVC manifold, but my efficiency goes down noticeably on big beers. I take some extra effort to split my batch sparge in 2 and try to go a little heavier on the initial boil volume and boil it down. These things have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used to biab with 2, 5 gal bags it was a PITA. I now use 1 large bag, I am much happier!

I just bought an "extra large mesh bag" at the LHBS for $30. I asked what bag they recommend for BIAB and that is the one they gave me. It easily fit 17lbs of grain with room to spare and I got 75% efficiency with it. It is slightly too small for my kettle so I am planning to buy a wilserbrewer bag.

What Was so bad about it?
Trying to stir 2 bags & secure 2 bags.

A proper sized bag fits over the top of the kettle making it very easy to secure with a bungee cord. It's also much easier to stir with more room for the grains to move.

I am planning to buy a wilserbrewer bag.

I highly recommend Wilser's products. I got the grand slam deal with the pulley system and that is working great.

Last batch I skipped the pizza pan false bottom, added heat during the mash with zero issues with the bag.

56% mash efficiency with BIAB using a keggle is more your process or even your paint strainer bag than anything. I just did a 15 lb smash twice, two weeks apart, and at a 151 f mash temp I had 73% efficiency. Pre boil gravity was 1.056 for 7.5 gallons I believe. If buy a beer brewing bag for brewing beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A 5 gallon paint strainer bag fits over the lip of a 5 gallon bucket and lines the inside. A 20 qt stock pot is about the same size. I have only done 3 gallon batches and the grain fit easily.

If I were to do 5 gallon batches I would get a bag from wilserbrewer that would fit my 10 gallon pot.

A 5 gallon paint strainer bag fits over the lip of a 5 gallon bucket and lines the inside. A 20 qt stock pot is about the same size. I have only done 3 gallon batches and the grain fit easily.

If I were to do 5 gallon batches I would get a bag from wilserbrewer that would fit my 10 gallon pot.

Just an FYI, the 5 gallon paint strainer bag I got on Amazon fit my 36 quart Bayou Classic which has a diameter of 13.5".

I highly recommend Wilser's products. I got the grand slam deal with the pulley system and that is working great.

Last batch I skipped the pizza pan false bottom, added heat during the mash with zero issues with the bag.

The key to adding heat with the bag in the pot is to STIR continuously, and you won't have a problem. Any mash will burn or scorch if it is not moving, BIAB or otherwise...stir while heating!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back