Brewing with mint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
My friend has this crazy idea that might actually work. We were wanting to make a good summer ale. Something that will be refreshing, and make you want more. What could be more refreshing on a hot summer day than a hint of mint?

I've seen a lot of recipes where people use mint in a porter or even lager. I want to do something totally different. Ideally, we want it to have a very slight mint "essence". I dont want it to taste like gargling Scope. It is going to be in a fairly light beer, so the flavor cannot be overpowering.

As I see it, there are 2 basic options. Mint leaves or mint extract. I think mint extract would probably be easier to control. My biggest concern is when I should add the mint. I'd assume adding leaves or extract during the hopping process might change flavor or aroma drastically.

Has anyone else done or heard of something like this that might have some suggestions?

Boil mint with water. Add a couple drops to a sample that you take out of secondary, use that to determine the right ratio. Then add that ratio at bottling time.

If you've done it a few times, you might add it right to the boil, but absent other information and experience, for a first attempt, I really don't think any other approach can really be justified. Add it at bottling time.

Once you've done that and found acceptable results, THEN, start trying "dry minting" and adding it to the boil and other stuff. You may find awesome stuff. But until you have the experience under your belt, add it at bottling time.

I have considered adding some Orange or Apple Mint to a dunkleweiss for the summer.... seems like a good combo to me. I'm growing Chocolate Mint too, but that would probably go better in a porter or stout.....

Ok, here is an update on the Summer Blonde minted beer:

Recipe:
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal
Yeast: 1 package Coopers dry brewers yeast
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV: 5.6%
Boiling Time: 30 min
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

9 lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
1 lb Crystal Malt 20L
1 oz Cascade (30 min)
.5 oz Cascade (5 min)
3/4 oz mint leaves (boiled for 30 min and left in wort for primary fermentation)

Mash 1 hour @ 152 F.

Primed with 4/5 cup DME dissolved in 2 cups hot water

I bottled this on Sunday and was very happy. My FG came out dead on to what beersmith estimated. I was initally worried about what boiling the leaves and leaving them in the wort.

I took a little sample while bottling, and it tasted great. Of course it still needs to carbonate and age a bit, but I think it can only get better. You can smell and taste a slight hint of mint. It is not overwhelming and immediately disappears with a light crisp taste. I'm very excited about tasting the finished version.

Interested in hearing how it tastes down the road, let us know. Mint is something I'd really like to work with eventually :)

By the way, what did you end up doing? Adding the water that you boiled with mint? Dry hopping the mint leaves? What amount did you add of either to the secondary?

Thanks

Ended up boiling the leaves in the wort for 30 minutes and leaving them in for the primary. I know its kind of a weird thing to do, but I think its going to work out. Didn't end up dry hopping the mint. I'd be interested to see the effects of dry..."minting" though.

The great thing it seems like though is that regular mint doesn't add a scope/peppermint cooling flavor. Very subtle.

I brewed an extract "Golden Ale" and boiled a big handful of fresh mint in with my wort as if it were hops. I used no hops in the boil in hopes the mint would "come through" in the flavors. Using mint ended up being huge disappointment; it was as if I didn't use anything in the boil but the extract.

If you pull it off and get distinguishable mint flavor, please post how you did it. I almost think a mint flavoring in the secondary or at bottling would work better even though you're giving up the all-natural ingredient of fresh mint sprigs.

Another route might be a honey wheat using Mint Honey.

Make the wheat beer as normal. Put it in the primary. When the primary is almost finished, add the mint honey (pasturize it first). Let it finish fermenting.

Sorry its been a while since I've gotten back to this.

The mint blonde has been bottled for about three weeks now and is really developing a great flavor. It turned out exactly like I wanted it to. I did similar to what slushy did, but I also used Cascade hops to give it more profile and somewhat of a citrusy hint.

I've given it to several people to taste blindly. I just told them it was a summer brew. Everyone that tasted it said, "wow...its so light and refreshing! I could drink these on a hot summer day". I was so glad when I heard those words, because that is exactly what my brew partner and I had discussed before making this beer.

To anyone in doubt, I'd definitely recommend this recipe. Of course tweak to your tastes. Using other ways to mint the beer would be interesting, but I think this works great. If used alongside hops in the boil, the mint is present and fresh, but not overpowering.

Thanks for the recipe! I have 6 gallons in my fermenter now and should have it ready by summer.

My brewery is called Snake Eyes Brewery and each libation is named after a snake. I'm calling this one "anti venom" it's to cure those that drink fizzy yellow light beer!

Hey Guys,

Newbie here with my first post. I'm making an extract chocolate porter using 4 oz cocoa nibs added 5 minutes before flameout. I'm looking to add a mint in secondary and after doing much research I'm going to soak the mint leaves in vodka just to "sanitize". The leave will sit for two weeks before I bottle. Hopefully it'll turn out, Thanks for all the tips here!

Back