Brewing with kids - of course it's doable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
Everybody knows I have kids (see my username), and I'm often asked questions along the time of "how do you find time to brew"?

The tl;dr of this post is simply me talking about how I make it all work.

Brewing with Kids.

Good post. We have just one, 3mo old. I barely have time to mow the yard, let alone brew.

I'm sure this gets better . . . right? RIGHT?!? :tank:

Thanks.

Yes, it does get better - though the time commitment for the kid just goes up. When they are infants, they just lay there (and sleep a lot). When they get mobile...

Just had my first a month ago. I was looking to brew and couldn't find the time for a big all-grain batch, so I made a cider. Might be a few of those happening again. Maybe a few small extract batches too.

I have not made the transition to AG yet, still doing extracts. However, my 11 year absolutely loves to help. Everything from filling pots to bottling. Catch 'me young.

Have 2 little ones myself, soon to be 1 yr old and soon to be 3 yr old. I just plan ahead for long brew days. Either doing 10 gallon batches or 2 to 3 5 gallon all grains brews. I do have to add I brew indoors with electric so walking away and not worrying about a flame does make it easier.

My kids are no problem at all on brew day. Usually after the first couple of homebrew they curl up in a corner and the rest of the day is pretty quiet.

Back