Brewing while sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
Do any of you avoid brewing/racking/taking samples/bottling while sick, or does it not matter to you?

I was planning on brewing an ESB this week, but I've come down with a nasty cold and I've postponed the brew for a few days, mostly because I feel like crap but also because I'm worried about accidental contamination. I also wanted to check the SG on my IPA since airlock activity seized after two very rigorous days, but I'm not risking an open fermenter at the moment.

If I'm sick to the point that I actually feel like crap, then yeah, I'm postponing everything until I feel better. If I just have the sniffles or a little cough, then I just take extra precautions to make sure I don't contaminate anything. Once fermentation is complete though I don't do anything different than my normal routine.

No and I mean no human pathogens live in beer. You are not going to risk your beer anymore if you are sick than if your not. Your beer can't catch a cold!

Viruses need animal cells to reproduce. They aren't attracted to plant based material. It would be pretty gnarly if your IPA was brimming with Influenza, but it doesn't work that way.

Yeah, there definitely isn't any more risk involved just because you're sick. If I feel good enough to brew, I definitely won't let a cold stop me. Just take the normal precautions you would anyway. You don't make a habit of breathing on your beer when you're well, do you?

yeah, but good ol' Uncle Sam knows all... and I live on base. Terrible for playin' hookie!

i don't think they call that "hookie". i think they call it something else, that wasn't very nice.

or at least they used to, a thousand years ago when i was in.

Back