Brewing while drinking beer.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only brewed 8 batches so far, but I usually drink one from my previous batch about mid-way through the boil (I brew on weeknights). The only time I didn't drink at all, I made my only "major" mistake: I forgot to remove the Starsan from the fermenter before dumping the wort.

Since then, I consider that drikinking one of my homebrew while brewing is essential to appease the beer gods.

I'll typically have some beers on brewday (between 2 to 4), but only after I mash. I will crush my grains while strike water is heating. Get boil additions and sparge water ready while mashing. Once transferred to the boil kettle beersmith audibly alerts me when I need to add hops, etc.

I get way more distracted when I have friends over who DON'T brew...

I generally wait until I have mashed in. Not due to any real rule or anything, I just usually start around 10 or 11 am, and am too busy setting up everything, measuring, and staging ingredients and gear so I can relax and enjoy the rest of the brew. Brewouts are usually a little more liquid fueled, but I generally stick to simple beers for them. Brew day is a beer celebration day so good beer, cheese, maybe some smoking of meats is almost mandatory.

As the safety guy for an oilfield company safety comes first, above all else. So for me I don't drink until all the burners are off, and the hoses are rolled. I open my first beer when I start cleaning up, not before.

a8f14563b4.jpg

It's my chamber...at my house...cuz his wife doesn't want the mess.

LMAO! Hmmmm... I wonder why that is????

I'll typically have some beers on brewday (between 2 to 4), but only after I mash. I will crush my grains while strike water is heating. Get boil additions and sparge water ready while mashing. Once transferred to the boil kettle beersmith audibly alerts me when I need to add hops, etc.

I get way more distracted when I have friends over who DON'T brew...

I found that mashing and brewing the same day was just too much work, too hectic, and took a lot of the fun out of it..

So I'd crush and mash the day before and collect all the wort into sanitzed buckets and put a lid on them... Clean out the mash tun and dispose of the grains (some saved for the dogs and the rest in the compost pile) and measure out all the hops and what not..

Then the next day, it's just a matter of getting up, running some starsan through the system, pouring the wort into the BK, and lighting the burner.. Nice leisurely brew day.. Tunes, beer, brewing.. Good time...

But I'm almost done with my new eBIAB system, so I'm hoping that I can crush and measure out hops and what not the night before, and then just go for it all in one operation that will take little longer than mashing did by itself before... No more plaing with heavy glass carboys full of wort, no more hauling heavy buckets of water or wort up a ladder to pour in the kettle, no more taking a lauter manifold all apart to clean, no more vorlauf...

Just push some buttons, turn some valves, and pump everything everywhere....

trying to make it brain dead easy/simple, so drinking through the whole process won't be an issue (I hope)...

Getting too damn old to be doing all that heavy lifting and what not...

:mug:

Believe it or not, the only beer I've ever had during the brewing process, albeit strictly for *research* purposes, is the last of the bottling bucket that won't fill a whole bottle. Although only slightly carbed and slightly sweet, it gives me a good idea how the finished beer is going to pan out.

100% this. I finish my ingredient and carboy prep at the start of the mash, once that's done I will drink. At this point the biggest risk is sanitation, so I ensure a large and easy bucket of starsan within reach and liberally splash it around.

The reality is, in 60-90 minutes it's not like 2 IPAs are going to make me useless.

No, at that point the biggest risk it spilling boiling water on yourself [emoji20]

I split my brew day to 2 days. Day one I measure everything, crush the grains, fill the kettles with water and have it ready to rock and roll the next day where all I have to do if turn on the mash burner, mash in, wait 90 minutes(at 25 minutes left I heat the sparge water), once the wort is cooling I will grab a beer. At that point everything but the boil kettle has already been cleaned up because I empty the mash tun and hose/scrub it out while the wort is coming to a boil. With 10 gallon batches I have a 30 minute wait for the boil so I use it up! Once the beer is in the fermenters I am to busy finishing cleanup to drink so beer 2 waits until I am done!

And I print the checklist from Brewers Friend and use it! Hard to forget a step when it is spelled out for you!

Another A.M. brewer here. The only thing I drink is coffee during the sparge. I like a beer at cleanup. At that point all that is left is to put away the burner and clean the boil kettle.

I always offer the beer gods a sacrifice at the beginning of my brew day. Last night I brewed a batch but procrastinated the sacrifice, my cpvc manifold came apart so I had to dump the mash into the boil kettle, find my missing 90° elbow, put it back together and then clean my kettle before I could lauter. I quickly repented and poured myself a pint and was blessed with an otherwise smooth brew.

Depends on when I start the brew day. If it's morning, I wait till at least noon before cracking one. If I get a late start, I usually have my first once I get set up. Got to pass the time of the mash and boil somehow.

I was just reading this thread the other day and chuckling. I've never had a bad day, until today. I'm brewing right now!!!. I came in to warm up a bit and mess around on the computer....I go back out and my ball valve is open on my BK during sparge/transfer. Lost about a gallon of wort on my garage floor. :smack:

And I just started my second beer.

Cheers, i like brown ale too. I use a colonial recipe, you might like it, it is 7 lb brown malt, 8 pale and 1 biscuit. I love brown malt. Drink while brewing for sure. I keep notes to stay on track.

Back