Brewing today, everythings fighting me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawford

Reaction score
started milling and some idiot ~ had the drill in reverse so i shot a bunch of grain across the floor. propane tank was ALMOST empty, so i had to use that up so it took forever to drain that last little bit left in the tank.

Luck better change today or i'm gonna quit lol

Every once and awhile you just have a ****ty day. One time I ran out of propane midway through the brew. When I finally got done I spilled about a gallon of wort on the floor. To top it off the same beer got infected (though not till three months later so I got to enjoy most of it).

dude, this stuff just has a funny way of kicking your a%$^ once in a while...

Now don't take this wrong. That's not bad luck, it's poor planning. If you brew.......... you have to be ready. I check everything and it helps me to not get in a bind. Wait till you don't have hops and can not get any for 2 days and the wort is in the boiler. Now that is a problem! :D

Now don't take this wrong. That's not bad luck, it's poor planning. If you brew.......... you have to be ready. I check everything and it helps me to not get in a bind. Wait till you don't have hops and can not get any for 2 days and the wort is in the boiler. Now that is a problem! :D

I'd call that way worse planning than having the drill in the wrong direction!
AS far as the propane, I know my local fill station fill price/pound. It dioes not have to be empty to refill it.

Yeah I fill my tanks at the KoA and they could care less what you have in there. Running out of propane would suck but I would just finish up on the stove.

If I ran out of hops sheeshe, I would go into experimental brew mode, go pick juniper berries if they were in season and head to the store to find other "bitter products."

I agree planning is everything... I get everything ready the day before including milling the grain. Then the next day I wakeup make a coffee and then into my garage turn the burner on and I'm ready to brew.
Cheers,
Grimmy

I am fairly new to beer making, and stress when things go wrong. My first 3 brews all failed for different reasons. At this point I have learned to deal with the brewday stress, but planning reduces it dramatically. If you streamline all your processes for brew day, there are usually no efffed up surprises.

I like to have my water in the kettle ready to heat, my mill placed atop my MLT filled with grain ready to crush, and all ingredients weighed out and seperated into their proper additions all on the night before I actually brew.

I once went to fill my carboy from the kettle, only to realize that I didn't have an empty carboy, so I had to keg a batch, clean and sanitize the carboy, stopper and airlock, and then could siphon in my new beer. Sometimes you just forget about things, and that can cause some stress.

Back