Brewing right now. Wheat question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
This is my first all grain wheat beer. About half the grist is malted wheat. There is a crazy amount of trub floating around. Is that normal, or did i miss a step?

About half way through the boil, it tasted BITTER. Was that all the trub in the sample?

This is kiwi wheat beer, and the end of boil fruit is supposed to go into the primary. Is it ok if all the trub goes into the fermenter?

So you're saying there's a lot of trub floating around in the boil? If so that's just break material. And there are varying points of view but I'm of the opinion that you can just dump it all right in your fermenter.

As for the bitterness... I mean, all of my boils or OG samples are pretty bitter. But if you're talking over-the-top bitter then you may have extracted a lot of tannins from the mash. What temperature were your mash-out and sparge?

this is my first time using a triple blend of acids to adjust the sparge water to 5.8 pH. i put 1.25 tsp of acid blend in 4 gallons of sparge water. for the first time ever, my temps were right on. 170 degree sparge water and 153 degree mash.

i am saying there is a lot of stuff floating in the boil.

Back