Brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agsensi

Reaction score
Have done 4 ish batches when I lived with a friend whom had an propane stove i not live in an apartment and electric stove not sure how well going to boil water and wert as well as worried about running up power bill sky high. Any sudjestions. And one done brewing with electric stove is it costly when power bill comes. Help is appreciated as well as ideas ps can't use propane stoves at these apts either for thoses home turkey fryer ideas

Have you heard of using a heatstick? Below is some info I am quoting from this webpage about heatsticks..
"if your stovetop isn't quite cutting it for your boil, a heatstick can be an inexpensive way to give it a boost. A 2000W heatstick can easily boil 4-5 gallons on its own. Combined with the heat from your stove it should be plenty for a good boil on a "full" 5 gallon batch."
And here's some more quotes from that same page, "Compared to propane, electricity is highly efficient. A 2000W heatstick will bring 5 gallons of 50 F tap water to mash temps in about 45 minutes, and then go from mashout to boil in another 15 minutes or so. If you figure an hour boil, that's 2 hours x 2000W or 4 kWh. At $0.15 per kWh, that's a whopping $.60 for a brew session!"
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Good idea but worried about making something like that myself I'd mess something up and electrocute myself lol.

Just finished testing my theory water doesn't ever boil after 1 1/2 hrs just small bubles of about 3,5 4 gallons of water And the heating elements of the stove made a silver spiral at the bottom of the pot and little floating black dots in the water like it took off the aluminum oxidized layer. Tha can't be good right

i have no idea what the floating black dots could be, but I found an item called a bucket water heater on Amazon that has promising reviews from fellow brewers! Here's a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks think they may have something like that at my local brew shop

Back