Brewing one beer the entire year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poopsmitherson

Reaction score
My goal this year is to brew only one beer for the entire year to really get this recipe where I want it. I'm documenting my progress, choices, reasonings, and things I learn along the way in this blog. Part of this is to give me some accountability to not quit this project after six months of drinking the same beer. The other part of it is to show how and why I'm making changes to my recipe. I don't claim to be an expert at this, so if nothing else, maybe somebody can learn from my mistakes.

Http://brewublog.wordpress.com

So, what happens if by the 3rd batch of the 2nd month, the beer is "perfect" to you? Of course, you won't really know until after the 4th batch change, but ...

Admirable, but BORING!!

I have only 2 recipes that I have tried to make multiple times to perfect. I have done one 4 times and the other 5 times out of 93 batches. Too many styles to explore to limit myself to only one!

Personally, I would probably get so tired of making/drinking the same beer but in theory it is a good idea to really hone in on a recipe formulation.

Now, when you say get this recipe where you want it, do you mean trying different malts, hops and yeasts or do you have a recipe and want to see difference between say, 8oz of C60 vs 10oz C80, or adding HopX @ 60 vs hopX @ 75 or lower-end vs higher end fermentation temps?

Now, when you say get this recipe where you want it, do you mean trying different malts, hops and yeasts or do you have a recipe and want to see difference between say, 8oz of C60 vs 10oz C80, or adding HopX @ 60 vs hopX @ 75 or lower-end vs higher end fermentation temps?

All of the above, which is why I really think it will take all year. I'm focusing on the malt profile first, trying to get the flavors I want, then the balance. Then I'll do the same with hops.

Last edited:
So, what happens if by the 3rd batch of the 2nd month, the beer is "perfect" to you? Of course, you won't really know until after the 4th batch change, but ...

I doubt this will happen for a few reasons: I'm going to gone in the flavors I want first and then try to strike the balance I want. I also intend to only make one (maybe two if they're small) change at a time to really get a feel for the impact of the change. It's definitely a way to get to know my ingredients better, too.

Last edited:
I doubt this will happen for a few reasons: I'm going to gone in the flavors I want first and then try to strike the balance I want. I also intend to only make one (maybe two if they're small) change at a time to really get a feel for the impact of the change. It's definitely a way to get to know my ingredients better, too.

OIC. I misunderstood your intention from the title. I assumed you would be focusing on a set combination of ingredients and honing the quantities until you reach your desired goal. Which I have found do not require a years worth of iterations provided you have a solid starting point.

Instead it sound like you intend to brew a years worth of beer making specific changes in either quantities or entire singular ingredients to learn the differences. Which will make for very different beers.

I too have done the latter and it was very educational, and very tedious. My only suggestion is to perhaps consider small batch, 1 to 3 gallon, for this experimentation.

Back