Brewing my first AG... live on the internet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigafoos

Reaction score
Today I'm taking the plunge and doing Ed's Haus Ale. I also realized that (a) I am a geek and (b) have the equipment, so I'm streaming a video feed of it. I also went ahead and figured out how to splice music into my audio (after a request from nugget in IRC), so you can listen to The Continuing Story of Counterpoint. Which is good because right now the feed is a camera pointed at a cooler :D

I've made my share of mistakes so far... left my hydrometer on a high surface where the wind could blow it over, so my sister in law is running to the LHBS to get me a new one. I also forgot to preheat my MLT, so when I added my grains and stirred I was at 147 instead of 153; didn't have any hot water handy and so it went about 30 minutes at that temp. I'm just going to consider this a stepped infusion, I guess, and maybe go for 75 minutes or so (when I added more water it went to 154 and is now at 152 about 20 minutes before the end). RDWHAHB, right? :)

Brewing is fun... :mug:

Oh also, Soperbrew reminded me that there's a chat in Mogulus... I can't see that. you should use the HBT chat instead. Which, I mean, you should do all the time anyway :)

Also, if anyone is interested in doing this, or if you want to start a HBT channel (you can have multiple people, and even switch between channels on the fly) let me know, as I have a few Mogulus beta invites left.

Watching live . . . your longer mash will result in a more fermentable wort but otherwise won't have any detrimental effects. Your beer will probably dry out by a couple of points but that's about it.

Chad

You should write up how you put video on the web and programs, cameras, video board, etc. I now have a camera I can use but know nothing about costs for this, etc. Please elaborate when you get the time.

Will do, for sure.

Everything is done now and I'm cleaning up. I missed my target gravity by .07 but I'm not really worried; I screwed up my sparge and so I expected it. But that's not a big deal (I made a comment about it being a pretty high abv on the video), and considering how much else could have gone wrong, I'm very happy with the day. In addition to it being a learning experience and providing me with beer, it was a ton of fun!

Thanks again to everyone who watched, or will watch: I recorded a good chunk of it (though it ends abruptly), so if you go to the link you can see what you missed. Which was, essentially, a pot with a dude talking in the background and some electronica :)

I couldn't have done it without HBT. This brew's for you :mug:

You missed your SG by .07!? or did you mean .007? .07 is Alot, actually more than alot of beers even start with let alone being off by that much. I assume you mean .007

Watch the vid a little on brew day. cool stuff. Just adjustment on camera angles and different background music (personal preference I know) is all I would critique. Overall very cool, not to mention brave to do that while attempting your first AG. I will be lucky to handle pictures during my first Ag this saturday

Er, yeah, .007. Haha, only a small difference :) (it was 1.050 instead of 1.057, or maybe it was 59... either way I was having trouble telling if my OG was 50 or 52)

An update: I'm working on a post explaining how I did the recording, but it may change drastically soon. I use Mogulus, which I've been very happy with thus far even though they occasionally screw up and don't let me record (only 17 minutes, all without music, recorded), but today I found that my Halo channel (as I say in the brewing video, I cohost the Halo podcast The Riot) is missing all of its content. As we've done weekly shows since December 2, we're sort of pissed. So I may be moving to ustream.tv, in which case the explanation will totally change.

It was pretty cloudy when I pitched my yeast, but I'm not sure if it was because I didn't vorlauf well or if that will drop out of suspension with time. Even if it was that cloudy in the end I'd be fine with it, though I'll secondary just because I can. The next morning it was bubbling every 3-5 seconds, and that night it was going constantly, and then it stopped. So maybe it's done, or maybe it just slowed down a lot; I'll take a reading tomorrow and then probably Sunday I'll rack to secondary (Saturday is, after all, Amber Waves of Grain).

Thanks for all the feedback... I'll definitely work on camera angles and things like that next time... Basic Brewing Video is doing some live streaming tests and when I emailed him about it, James pointed me to a Mac program called CamTwist that will let me do more mixing of cameras and things like that (even PIP for a 'boilcam' while I talk :D)

Edit: Looks like Mogulus recovered all of our videos... freakout over. Now of course I need an excuse for not finishing my post :)

Back