Brewing my 3rd batch and have a few questions about the recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeblue2k

Reaction score
For my third batch I decided to make pumpkin beer recipe that I found here on the board. Since this is only my third batch and im still learning a TON, I have a few questions to ask. Here is the recipe i am looking at:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 9.7
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 12.9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4-7 @ 70 F
Additional Fermentation: 14 @ 70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 70 F

6 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Vienna Malt
8 oz Cara-Pils
8 oz Crystal 60L

8 oz Maple Syrup (90 mins)
2 large cans of carmelized pumpkin (90 mins)
1 oz Crystal Hops (90 mins)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (90 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (90 mins)

1 oz Fuggles Hops (20 mins)
1 tbsp Cinnamon (20 mins)
.5 tbsp nutmeg (20 mins)

1 tbsp Irish Moss (15 mins)

1 tbsp Cinnamon (2 mins)
1 tbsp nutmeg (2 mins)
1 tbsp Corriander Seeds (2 mins)

Wyeast 1056

- Caramelize pumpkin in cookie sheets @ 350 degrees F for 1 hour (pumpkin will turn a dark brown on the top layer)
- Meanwhile, mash grain in 3.75 qts of 172.5 degree water (will stabilize at 158) for 45 minutes
- Sparge with 2.25 gallons of water at 168
- Add pumpkin, DME, 90 min spices, maple syrup & bittering hops & boil for 70 minutes
- Add 20 min spices & flavor hops & boil for 5 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp irish moss & boil for 13 minutes
- Add 2 min spices & aroma hops & boil for 2 more minutes
- Cool wort & rack to primary
- Let ferment for approx 4 days & then rack off the trub to secondary
- Let it sit in secondary for 1 week and rack off the trub to tertiary
- Let it sit in tertiary for 2 weeks & after fermentation is complete, prime & keg​

Original post

Instead of using canned pumpkin I plan on using a real one, ive made homemade pumpkin pie before so this part should be fairly straight forward. What im unsure about in the recipe are:

What are the times next to the ingrediants? For example "8 oz Maple Syrup (90 mins)" or "2 large cans of carmelized pumpkin (90 mins)". I thought they might be time as to when im supposed to add them to the boil, but the times dont match up to what they are saying in the directions at the bottom.

I think this is a mini-mash recipe, correct? Im going to need a nylon grain bag right?

Im a little confused by what they mean with these two steps:
- Meanwhile, mash grain in 3.75 qts of 172.5 degree water (will stabilize at 158) for 45 minutes
- Sparge with 2.25 gallons of water at 168​

I was hopping to brew this weekend, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated

What are the times next to the ingrediants? Yes, boil times, they don't match up because it is counting down backwards at the bottom, i.e. 90 minute boil, first 70 minutes, next 18, next 2, etc.

I think this is a mini-mash recipe, correct? Yes. Cara and Crystal could be steeped, but not the Munich or Vienna.

Im going to need a nylon grain bag right? Makes life much easier and keeps grains off the bottom of the pan which is good for temp control/nasties extraction. I have done it with just a pasta pot follwed by a straining before boil.

- Meanwhile, mash grain in 3.75 qts of 172.5 degree water (will stabilize at 158) for 45 minutes. Ignore this if you are doing it in a pot on the stove. You want to raise the temp of the water to 158 and hold it there for 45 minutes as best you can. The link you added explains this pretty well. Basically, have thermometer in the post and add heat when it starts to fall.
- Sparge with 2.25 gallons of water at 168. Heat 2 gallons in another pot to temp and rinse out grains after draining. (think making coffee) I suggest cycling this through a few times to extract as much of the good stuff as possible.

I was hopping to brew this weekend, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Best of luck! You'll likely be very happy with your results even if you can't get everything perfect.

What are the times next to the ingrediants? Yes, boil times, they don't match up because it is counting down backwards at the bottom, i.e. 90 minute boil, first 70 minutes, next 18, next 2, etc.

I think this is a mini-mash recipe, correct? Yes. Cara and Crystal could be steeped, but not the Munich or Vienna.

Im going to need a nylon grain bag right? Makes life much easier and keeps grains off the bottom of the pan which is good for temp control/nasties extraction. I have done it with just a pasta pot follwed by a straining before boil.

- Meanwhile, mash grain in 3.75 qts of 172.5 degree water (will stabilize at 158) for 45 minutes. Ignore this if you are doing it in a pot on the stove. You want to raise the temp of the water to 158 and hold it there for 45 minutes as best you can. The link you added explains this pretty well. Basically, have thermometer in the post and add heat when it starts to fall.
- Sparge with 2.25 gallons of water at 168. Heat 2 gallons in another pot to temp and rinse out grains after draining. (think making coffee) I suggest cycling this through a few times to extract as much of the good stuff as possible.

I was hopping to brew this weekend, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Best of luck! You'll likely be very happy with your results even if you can't get everything perfect.

Thanks for the help! Well, off to the store I do!

Back