Brewing Morebeer's Pliny the Elder, check my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin713

Reaction score
I will be starting with RO water, im planning on using Tastys water profile for it, but with a little less sulfates. I entered it all into the recipe calculator here. this is my first time changing my water profiles and i really want the Hops to come through since it is a heavily hopped DIPA.

it says nothing in the recipe sheet i got from more beer but based on the OG im assuming this is for a 6 gallon batch, since there is 5 OZ of dry hop pellets in the recipe. based on that, doing a Full volume BIAB mash(total water volume 9.7 G) , my additions are below.

Gypsum: 14.6 G
CACL: 1.9G
Epsom : 6 G
Salt: 1.1G

I am shooting for the below, and based on Bru'n Water this should get me there. thoughts? its not a cheap recipe so i want to make sure im not screwing it up.

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2
110 18 16 49 279

Without adding alkalinity to that high dose of Ca and Mg, the mash pH is bound to be lower than desirable. You really need to keep the mash pH up around 5.4 in hoppy and bittered beers.

Without adding alkalinity to that high dose of Ca and Mg, the mash pH is bound to be lower than desirable. You really need to keep the mash pH up around 5.4 in hoppy and bittered beers.

so would you suggest a bit of baking soda then?

Using the 1 mEq of acid for each 3.5 mEq of calcium number that everyone seems to use you would indeed expect a pH drop of over 0.2 pH. But that number is
1)At knockout - not in the mash
2)For lagers
3)Higher than recent measurements seem to suggest it ought to be.

It is more likely that in the mash it takes 7 to 10 mEq of calcium to get 1 mEq protons. Thus your drop from this effect is probably going to be 0.1 pH or less. Thus is not insignificant but less that you would expect if you were using the old 3.5 number. You may not need alkali after all. To see, fool your spreadsheet by telling it you are using 1/2 the calcium and .35 times the calcium to see what a more reasonable estimate of the drop might be. Base you decision as to whether to add alkali on that.

I will be starting with RO water, im planning on using Tastys water profile for it, but with a little less sulfates. I entered it all into the recipe calculator here. this is my first time changing my water profiles and i really want the Hops to come through since it is a heavily hopped DIPA.

it says nothing in the recipe sheet i got from more beer but based on the OG im assuming this is for a 6 gallon batch, since there is 5 OZ of dry hop pellets in the recipe. based on that, doing a Full volume BIAB mash(total water volume 9.7 G) , my additions are below.

Gypsum: 14.6 G
CACL: 1.9G
Epsom : 6 G
Salt: 1.1G

I am shooting for the below, and based on Bru'n Water this should get me there. thoughts? its not a cheap recipe so i want to make sure im not screwing it up.

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2
110 18 16 49 279

SO I too am basically in the same position as you. Making an IPA recipe and diving into RO water with additions and I am going with same water profile. All my numbers are in line except for sodium which is at 0./ What kind of salt are you adding? I'm using EZwater spreadsheet and there is no salts besides Epsome.

SO I too am basically in the same position as you. Making an IPA recipe and diving into RO water with additions and I am going with same water profile. All my numbers are in line except for sodium which is at 0./ What kind of salt are you adding? I'm using EZwater spreadsheet and there is no salts besides Epsome.

epsom isnt salt. its magnesium sulfate. to add sodium, just add salt. make sure its not iodized. iodine is poisionus to yeast.

i ended up adding some Baking soda,(for alkalinity) and a bit of Kosher salt.

Latest posts

Back