brewing in the summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
just started brewing, i don't wanna take all summer off. but i dont have any way to cool my wert. is there any type of beer that can be fermented between 70-80 degrees?

I used an old cooler with no top that my Carboy fits in, when filled with water it goes up a little more than halfway up the Carboy, stick a couple frozen water bottles in and monitor the temps twice a day, in a cool dark room, it's worked like a charm, swamp cooler! Some even take a Tshirt or towel and cover the Carboy leaving some touching the water to further help with cooling.

Cheap, efficient, effective way to ferment any ale. As for your question specifically I can't answer, but I believe it more depends on the yeasts range of acceptable temps.

What do you mean you have no way to cool your wort. Can you not get ice anywhere? My cold water will get warm so my IC will be less effective. But, I made mine in two 20' sections so I put one in a bucket of ice and the other in the wort. I started with extracts last summer and did ice bath cooling in the kitchen sink.

After that you need to keep the fermentation temperature stable and cool. I use a large Sterilite storage box with about 6 inches of water in it. I rotate ice bottles to keep the temperature stable. It takes changing the bottles more often in the summer. Do a search for "swamp cooler"

i can get ice, but i just don't know how practical that would be. maybe a combo of a beer thats supposed to be fermented at a higher temp in combo with the ice. i work so id have to be away from it for 8 or so hours a day...

Get a cooler or tub that your fermentation vessel will fit in, fill with water, add frozen water bottles till you hit your target temp, rotate bottles twice a day or three. Check temps periodically, when you wake up, before work or school when you get home before you go to bed, rotate as needed.Like I said this works like a charm for me, hasn't let me down yet!

i can get ice, but i just don't know how practical that would be. maybe a combo of a beer thats supposed to be fermented at a higher temp in combo with the ice. i work so id have to be away from it for 8 or so hours a day...

Again, swamp cooler. Check it and add an ice bottle or two before going to work. Check it when you get home, change out bottles if needed, check again before going to bed. After a batch or two you will know how much ice to add and how often you will need to change out the bottles.

It worked almost flawlessly for me last summer. Most ale yeasts work best in the low to mid sixties. Higher temperatures lead to off flavors and fusel alcohols. It is easier to control the temperature with a swamp cooler than to try to find a yeast with the right characteristics to ferment at high temperatures. Using the right yeast for your recipe is pretty important.

Yes, get a swamp cooler ..... a large plastic tub from Walmart and place in in the coolest place in the house (basement on concrete floor). Place fermenter in it and fill with water. It will keep temperatures stable, and improve your beer. Use it when it is cool too. If you need to raise the temp, use a fish tank heater in the water bath.

Don't bother with ice bottles. You can if you want, but it is a pain. Just brew what will go with the temperature you get.

Many English yeasts are good for low to mid 70s. Will give you some fruity flavors, but that is what they do.

PacMan is pretty clean (American style ales) to about 72F.

For anything above 75, have some fun with Belgian strains. Just be wary of the Dupont strain that really needs temperatures to be constant in the mid 80s to work trouble free.

Use the ice bottles/packs the first week of fermentation, when you generally need to keep the temp in the mid 60's. After that i've found that if i take the water bottles out, the water holds still holds it's temp pretty well as long as you keep your home thermostat in the low to mid 70's. Letting your temp slowly climb into the low 70's for the last week or so of fermentation shouldn't hurt anything.

I bought one of those round tubs with the rope handles at walmart for eight bucks. I fill it about 10 inches deep with cold water, put my fermenter in it and every night put a pitcher full of ice cubes in; sometimes twice a day. works great

Back