Brewing in the rain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
Yep.... I was looking forward to using the propane burner for the first time

2015-04-18 20.44.27.jpg

If he's brave that won't be a problem. I believe I spy a hot tub behind that boil kettle!

You would be correct! taking awhile to get to boil but that's alright.. Enjoying a cold one & remembered we have an umbrella for the table we never use.

2015-04-18 21.13.12.jpg

Unfortunately my big canopy that covered my patio bit the dust last year so I only have an umbrella over the table now. Even with the canopy I'm not sure I'd brew in the rain. I much prefer sitting in the sun while my beer boils. :)

This is one of the reasons I've moved my brewing to the garage. I've made it a habit to check the weather prior to planning a brew day anyway, but having the ability to brew inside the garage during a thunderstorm is nice. Probably the biggest concern for me was when I started using an electric pump and I would get an impromptu rain storm.

Am an electric brewer and also recommend checking the weather before brewing. My first big batch brew was interrupted by a huge thunderstorm. I had to manhandle 32 litres of hot wort I a metal boiler 6 metres to put in under cover. I did get a few burns it most importantly, it made it easier to name the beer. Storm IPA turned out fine.

I now have a gazebo like the above photo up at all times.

UK weather is changeable to say the least..

Brew in the garage here. Rain only is an issue when collecting water but only if it's a frog floater.

Just be happy that it actually rains in your neck of the woods. Dry as a bone here in So Cal.

I have done more times than I would like to admit and I actually was going to brew today but we have rain in-bound...

What usually happened is I get caught at the end of the boil in a light "sprinkle"

DPB

Today will be another brew day in the rain. Hopefully I can get most things done that require me to be outside of the garage in-between hard pour-downs and tornado warnings!

Today will be another brew day in the rain. Hopefully I can get most things done that require me to be outside of the garage in-between hard pour-downs and tornado warnings!

What are you brewing? My Rainy Day IPA is tasting great!

Cheers

I Grilled under of one of those cheap ones, $49, from Wal-Mart last weekend and it was fine, I had the grill on full blast boiling potatoes in a large tray for a large group of people, (out in a camp site)... the rain kept the cover cool and most of the heat dissipated. When the rain let up I moved the cover... not being sure if it would hold up.

I have done this with out a cover, say I got caught in the rain for a while by a stray thunderstorm, and the worst bit was keeping up the TEMP.

DPB

I enjoy being outside too much for that. ^^ I simply deploy the Dallas Cowboys pop up and install side curtains for wind protection. I do the same thing to grill/BBQ/Smoke in the wind/rain.

Midwestern weather doesn't permit doing something like that at least half the year. I'd love to be able to brew outside year round but that just isn't an option where i'm at now.

Weather... I brew in my garage door wide open, its nice looking out over my yard that is after 4 years of work starting to be grass and not just weeds

I have done this with out a cover, say I got caught in the rain for a while by a stray thunderstorm, and the worst bit was keeping up the TEMP.

DPB

That's also the primary reason I don't brew in the winter/late fall. I'm hardcore enough to tough it out outdoors but trying to keep the temp up is almost a losing battle and was probably wasting double the propane per batch.

Back