brewing in the cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffy

Reaction score
i just made an IPA on new years day in the freezing 22 degree weather. and when i did my first hop addition at 60 min. i had a little bit of boil over and lost some heat. since i had to shut it down in an attempt not to catch everything on fire. it took me about 20 mins to get back up to boiling. and so i ended up just boiling for 45 min after that. does anyone see any issues with this shorter boil?

The Hops were in there with the hot water the whole time, should be fine as far as hop utilization. Your total volume might be off a little, don't know if that will have impact on your flavor. Why not just boil for 60 min when you got it started?

not too sure i guess i should have. i was little worried about the bittering hops being in there too long i guess. plus after the spillage the flame was getting hard to control and the arm of the burner kept catching fire so i was trying to speed things up i guess.

Back