Brewing in Phoenix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acaciadrian

Reaction score
Hello to all you beer loving studs and babes( I'm being kind [emoji12])
I have been living in Phoenix for about 4 years now and have had a lot of success in brewing and the same amount of sub pare brews due to my ability to manage/control proper temp control when my beer when fermenting. Seeing that you can have a temp swing of 120 to 95( summer months) in one day and m struggling! Any suggestions that won't cost me a $500 electricity bill at the end of the month?

If you are fermenting in an airconditioned house that you can keep at least in the low 80s...you might try a "cool brewing" insulated bag.

it is a big insulated bag that will hold 1 carboy and several 2 liter bottles full of ice.
You can swap out the frozen bottles to maintain the carboy temp in the mid 60s.
Changing out 1 bottle 2x a day is enough to keep my fermentation temps in the 60s during the summer.

I don't know what the prevailing electric rate is in Phoenix, but I can ferment a pair of 6.5g carboys in one of my Craig's List $100 17cf top-freezer fridges through the dog days of August for under $3/month @ our punitive 15 cents a KWH.

Consider the cost to brew all those sub-par batches...

Cheers!

If you are fermenting in an airconditioned house that you can keep at least in the low 80s...you might try a "cool brewing" insulated bag.

" thank you kind sir, any brands/models/DYI that you would suggest? *DIY*

I don't know what the prevailing electric rate is in Phoenix, but I can ferment a pair of 6.5g carboys in one of my Craig's List $100 17cf top-freezer fridges through the dog days of August for under $3/month @ our punitive 15 cents a KWH.

Consider the cost to brew all those sub-par batches...

Cheers!

Thank you fine sir! Any DIY recommendations on a " Craig's List $100 17cf top-freezer fridges?"

It's around graduation time... Cruise the Tempe CraigsList for dorm fridges. I use 2 and fit a 6-gal PET carboy in each. Just make sure the compressor hump is more tall and flat to the back so your airlock will fit under the freezer shelf, otherwise you can carefully bend it (freezer shelf) down out of the way. I have one of each configuration and both work perfectly. I cut out the plastic shelving in the door and control each with an STC. Cheap easy fermentors.

Just FYI, I keep mine in the garage and their max differential is about 65 degrees F. Just had to bring a few kegs in prematurely since the "cold" crash had risen from 35 to 40 over the course of a couple 110+ days. I don't dare brew in the summer so I can't vouch for their effectiveness outdoors all summer.

Latest posts

Back