Brewing History- Jackson Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michigan_Wolfman

Reaction score
I was researching the history of my hometown earlier, curious as to whether or not there may have been some breweries here in the past. Sure enough, I came across a reference to a long defunct firm called The Eberle Brewing Company which was established in the late 1800s in Jackson Michigan and located at 901 Water Street. Besides beer, Eberle also bottled a line of soft drinks which included classics such as Frostie Root Beer and Delaware Punch.

Eberles-Blue-Star-Beer-Labels-The-Eberle-Brewing-Co-Inc_72519-1.jpg

Several breweries went to soft drinks to try to survive the prohibition era. I know of at least 3 in the KC area that tried it. Only one pulled through that I'm aware of in the area (Muehlebach, later acquired by Schlitz). Always interesting learning your city's history.

Yeah, I can remember my parents talking about drinking Delaware Punch when they were kids, but I had no idea that it was bottled locally, or the fact that the parent company had at one time been a major brewery. Eberle bottled soft drinks up until 1965 when they finally closed the doors, from what few sources I've been able to find online.

Back